PDA

View Full Version : spray gun harbor freight

sussertown
1st December 2016, 11:56 AM
I've been using a gravity sprayer like a cabinet maker I know. It's from Harbor freight but looks like dozens of others. I sprayed lacquer thinned and left it for an hour or so and sprayed again. For a while it worked fine then it began to clog or get sticky here and there. I took some of it apart and cleaned it, not thorough, and tried again. I've been working on it for days. It's just trouble. So I wondered if brand name guns do better. Maybe the tolerances are better. I don't know. For a thorough cleaning it cleans up fine.

rob streeper
1st December 2016, 01:01 PM
I've been using a gravity sprayer like a cabinet maker I know. It's from Harbor freight but looks like dozens of others. I sprayed lacquer thinned and left it for an hour or so and sprayed again. For a while it worked fine then it began to clog or get sticky here and there. I took some of it apart and cleaned it, not thorough, and tried again. I've been working on it for days. It's just trouble. So I wondered if brand name guns do better. Maybe the tolerances are better. I don't know. For a thorough cleaning it cleans up fine.Consider it a learning experience. I was given a Woodcraft brand small HVLP, same kind of junk. I bought upscale to SATA and have never looked back. I have seven of their sprayguns now and would never buy anything of lower quality. If you lurk on eBay you can sometimes get deals. The NR95 guns are fairly cheap used and if in good condition are great for woodwork.

Arron
5th December 2016, 07:32 PM
Looking at the website, the harbour freight gun looks like a zillion other cheap guns available around the world. I have a number of guns in the same price bracket - in my case from a local cheapie place called Supercheap Auto. I also have middle market (star) and high end (iwata) guns, and the truth is the difference is that the moe expensive guns:
1. Atomise a bit better
2. Last longer

While they are new, in the hand, the difference between a cheap gun and a top end one is not that great, maybe 20% in all-round functionality. That's why I think the problems you are getting are due to your practices, not your gun. The difference is simply not that great. I also note a quick google reveals plenty of happy harbour freight users.

Most beginners problems come down to cleanliness, gun settings and thinning. It takes a while and a Lot of experimentation to get that right, but I wouldn't jump to a better gun expecting magic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying quality guns aren't better, of course they are, I'm just saying that the difference is not that great and you should still be able to lay down a decent coat with the harbour freight gun.

sussertown
6th December 2016, 01:11 AM
I have learned about the cheap guns and more ideas for caring for the guns between shoots. I did but a cheap neiko that seems to be much better made with much less plastic. It cost $30. Thanks for your comments. I consider my question answered.