PDA

View Full Version : Production woodturning - much market?

woodPixel
3rd December 2016, 01:25 AM
Over the last few months I've been asked to do more and more turnings.

Nothing complex (or needing much skill, thank the gods) - but there seems to be a large number of people who want small jobs done - knobs, pegs, posts, poles for racks, repairs for chairs, etc.

A bit of a google shows there aren't too many production turners any more.

Is this due to auto-lathes, China or simply skilled workers are retiring?

Kuffy
3rd December 2016, 01:56 AM
I worked for a production turner for about 8 years. In that time there was three production furniture makers go belly up, one was a decent sized public company spitting out pine garbage. I just checked to see how another production furniture maker is going and it seems it went into voluntary adminstration in July this year. Turnings on furniture don't seem very popular at the moment. I certainly dont do anything more fancy than square tapered legs.

"Auto lathes" arent anything new. Rotary knife lathes can pump out work pretty quickly and they are probably faster than the CNC lathes. but a rotary lathe needs to have the parts sanded afterwards (another super quick machine does that).

Without the furniture industry demanding turned components, it only leaves verandah posts and staircase components.

chuck1
3rd December 2016, 10:09 AM
I'm a trade production Turner and work at a staircase factory and we don't do a great deal of turning.
And small jobs that do come in people don't want to pay $70 dollars for a spindle for one.
I do have other avenues where I turn for people appreciate the quality for antique restorations.

There is a call for it but it comes down to $$$$

I had a guy who had one broken baluster, after talking with him and explained its cheaper to get 3 than one by the time I setup, draw up machine Timber, turn and sand
He saw the light!

artful bodger
3rd December 2016, 06:20 PM
About half my income is from production face plate work. It is only because the items that I make for my client are marketed as "hand made in Australia". Seems there are still discerning customers who are happy to pay for that. Occasionally I will do balustrades, etc for builders who require them in a particular timber and design, to match a period extension of a house for example.
It is not only the furniture industry no longer requiring turnings, it is also the building industry. Turnings have really in the past been all about superfluous decoration. Today's design ideals are more about sleek minimalism.