PDA

View Full Version : woodcut bowl saver

chuck1
4th December 2016, 07:42 AM
I finally bought a bowl corer, having had a heap of blanks I thought it was Time to practice.
It doesn't like woolybutt but red cedar, champhor and Norfolk pine went well.
I picked it up secondhand along with a teknatool ornamental turner.

Gary H
4th December 2016, 09:16 AM
That's a good collection and you sure didn't waste any timber. Out of curiosity, about how long did it take to do them?
My only attempt took forever, and it's more than likely the IO (idiot operator), so I'm not sure whether I was too gentle,
running at the wrong speed, or my lathe needs more power. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

chuck1
4th December 2016, 02:14 PM
Coring the first big bowls in cedar, camphor was about 400rpm the smaller ones 800 to 1200 rpm.
Didn't take long 5 to 10 minutes using a steady and firm feed rate and clearing the shavings.
The nearly dry woolybutt took half an hour it was a fair lump 380 by 160 deep. Vibrated the handle loose and pulled out of Chuck jaws. But I kept at it.

I have probably been going abit thick with wall thickness but thin them down after.

It cut better after sharpening. I watch the DVD a few times and made some different setup jigs.
I'm happy with it, it was secondhand but had not done much work till I got it!

smiife
4th December 2016, 05:07 PM
Hi charlie,
Great job with the bowl saver , always seems a waste
sweeping up all those shavings , might have look at one
myself , what make is yours ?
Also where have you been hiding lately?

chuck1
4th December 2016, 08:37 PM
Hi Michael. It's a 1997 model.I had been hoarding some bowl blanks till I could get a corer. Bought it for $300 with the teknatool ornamental turner.

My wife was pretty sick with type 1 diabetes, 6 trips to intensive care. She is getting better. And work had me stuffed.
I've got my head back in the game nearly.

smiife
4th December 2016, 09:31 PM
Hi Michael. It's a 1997 model.I had been hoarding some bowl blanks till I could get a corer. Bought it for $300 with the teknatool ornamental turner.

My wife was pretty sick with type 1 diabetes, 6 trips to intensive care. She is getting better. And work had me stuffed.
I've got my head back in the game nearly.

Hi charlie, It,s good to see you back, sorry to hear
the missus wasn, t well,and now on the mend,
Wish her well from us ....:2tsup:

Willy Nelson
5th December 2016, 03:53 PM
Owning a bowl saver is something I have looked into for years.
I would like to see a demo of one before I hand over money, but never seen them demonstrated at a show in WA.
Second hand ones never come up in the Market section or Gumtree
Willy
Jarrahland

chuck1
5th December 2016, 06:45 PM
I would like to see a demo of one before I hand over money, but never seen them demonstrated at a show in WA.
Willy
Jarrahland

They are very hard to find secondhand, but I was in the right spot at the right time.
Some grub offered the lady 600 for nova 3000 20 plus chisels chucks bowl corer, router table with incra fence system and a jet 12 inch thicknesser.
I sold the router table for 600 for her and priced alot of the tools. And bought a heap Myself.
Also took tools to club meeting to sell as well.
Getting back to bowl corer it does struggle with hardwood that's nearly dry!

dai sensei
5th December 2016, 10:30 PM
Willy
Jarrahland

Next time you over my way Willy call in and I'll show you mine in action, assuming I am home that is :rolleyes:

Willy Nelson
6th December 2016, 01:45 AM
Next time you over my way Willy call in and I'll show you mine in action, assuming I am home that is :rolleyes:

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Travel East!!!!!!!!!!!
That's crazy talk, but thanks for the offer, Neil
Every time I get big bowl blanks it annoys me that 90% will end up as shavings, especially when they have stunning grain. I have Youtubes the Oneway system which I reckon is awesome,
Cheers
Willy

artful bodger
6th December 2016, 08:56 AM
I saw a bloke demonstrating the Kell Mc Naughton bowl saver at the Sydney wwwshow in about 1994-5. He made it look incredibly easy and super fast. Mind you it was greenish camphor Laurel he was using it on. This type of bowl saver attached to your arm and one couldn't help wonder what might happen if an accident came along. Regardless, they completely sold every bowl saver they took to the show.

NeilS
9th December 2016, 10:39 AM
I find it takes about the same time to core a blank as it takes to turn the inside of a bowl. Setting up the corer is what takes the time, so I tend to do the coring in batches.

Besides the extra bowl/s, the other advantage is that there is less wood shavings to deal with, which becomes a factor when you are turning a whole tree into bowls.

I core on a 1.5hp lathe, but it struggles on very large blanks. At least 2hp would be better.

I have had both the Woodcut and Kelton corers. The Kelton is slightly more demanding, but more flexible.

Keeping the tips sharp on them is the key to success, but isn't that the case with any turning tools.

Woodturnerjosh
9th December 2016, 12:15 PM
Every time I get big bowl blanks it annoys me that 90% will end up as shavings, especially when they have stunning grain. I have Youtubes the Oneway system which I reckon is awesome,

I have a Oneway system on the way. The most expensive by far (a little over $1000) and if I wasn't getting it brought over by a friend (free shipping) I don't think I'd get one. I'll be sure to put up the info when I get around to using it.

Cheers

Josh

Willy Nelson
10th December 2016, 09:00 AM
Hello
If any one has one for sale, especially in WA or ACT prior to the 20 Dec as my Mum and sister can bring it over), I wouild be keen to hear from you
WIlly
Jarrahland

dai sensei
10th December 2016, 11:09 PM
Hello
If any one has one for sale, especially in WA or ACT prior to the 20 Dec as my Mum and sister can bring it over), I wouild be keen to hear from you
WIlly
Jarrahland

There is one for sale in our Facebook group Willy, not sure where, but I'm sure the Forum transport linkages can get it there some how

woodPixel
11th December 2016, 12:31 AM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/424814840994946/permalink/804408659702227/

Willy Nelson
11th December 2016, 12:52 AM
Thanks
I will check it out
Cheers
Willy

Willy Nelson
11th December 2016, 12:56 AM
Okay
I am not on Facebook, but I did try to find it on a family members login with no luck. Can someone post a bit more detail please?
Cheers
Willy

dai sensei
11th December 2016, 06:54 PM
Sorry Willy, it is now sold. ps You need to get on Facebook, not just for the woodworking, but when the kids leave the nest it is the only way you get to know what they are doing. The above ad was in the closed group, not public, so only invited/accepted turners can see it

Willy Nelson
13th December 2016, 12:09 AM
Sorry Willy, it is now sold. ps You need to get on Facebook, not just for the woodworking, but when the kids leave the nest it is the only way you get to know what they are doing. The above ad was in the closed group, not public, so only invited/accepted turners can see it

Ppppppppfffffffffffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttttt Facebook!!!!!!
It will never take off, I reckon a passing fad
Willy
Luddite
Jarrahland