PDA

View Full Version : Careful with that circular saw!

AlexS
2nd September 2005, 10:17 PM
Check this one out. :eek:
http://mosnews.com/news/2005/09/01/sawedman.shtml

zenwood
2nd September 2005, 10:47 PM
A circular saw for cutting down trees?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

joseph84
2nd September 2005, 11:08 PM
He said he should have worn a protective apron. Unless its made from steel its pointless, the saw would cut straight through it. Has this guy heard of a chainsaw? his pretty lucky to be alive.

Markw
13th September 2005, 06:18 PM
A circular saw for cutting down trees?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Now this is a circ saw! See Attached Pic

When I started my mech apprenticeship with the then Sydney County Council in 1976 we had this monster called a Hagen Saw with its 3 1/2 foot blade powered by an old BSA motor bike engine. In the attached photo you might note the mesh fence which was only an afterthought once a few employees had been bounced over the top of the motor and toward the spinning blade when the saw bit and bucked.

Later when parts for the engine became difficult, it was fitted with a 1200cc VW engine and the operator had to wear a harness to stay attached to the handles.

By 1980 this monster had been retired to the scrap heap after being classified as bloody dangerous.

You gotta love the old time machinery

zenwood
14th September 2005, 10:31 AM
Admit it: you're a former spy, and this device was used to torture James Bond, who always managed to escape at the last second, just before the family jewels got sliced.:eek:

Barry_White
14th September 2005, 10:45 AM
Now this is a circ saw! See Attached Pic

When I started my mech apprenticeship with the then Sydney County Council in 1976 we had this monster called a Hagen Saw with its 3 1/2 foot blade powered by an old BSA motor bike engine. In the attached photo you might note the mesh fence which was only an afterthought once a few employees had been bounced over the top of the motor and toward the spinning blade when the saw bit and bucked.

Later when parts for the engine became difficult, it was fitted with a 1200cc VW engine and the operator had to wear a harness to stay attached to the handles.

By 1980 this monster had been retired to the scrap heap after being classified as bloody dangerous.

You gotta love the old time machinery

I was sore sore I am sure that is what they opened up my chest with when they did my by pass operation.

Markw
14th September 2005, 06:34 PM
Admit it: you're a former spy, and this device was used to torture James Bond, who always managed to escape at the last second, just before the family jewels got sliced.:eek:

NO NO NO
This is the acme saw from the Warner Bros cartoons that Wyle E. Coyote uses to chop the lumber and then lathe turn to produce a toothpick all from a single californian redwood just to think about his next invention.

Wyle E Coyote - Super Genius

jow104
14th September 2005, 06:49 PM
Check this one out. :eek:
http://mosnews.com/news/2005/09/01/sawedman.shtml

Tell us AlexS, how did you find this site. You dont strike me has a Pravada newsreader :)

Pat
14th September 2005, 08:58 PM
Mark, I work for SCC current entity, which depot was the pic taken at? I know a few of the more mature Poles/OH blokes and they may remember this beast.

echnidna
14th September 2005, 09:17 PM
Hey Mark, Someone modified that swing saw.
They never had guards between the blade and its driver.

AlexS
14th September 2005, 10:45 PM
Tell us AlexS, how did you find this site. You dont strike me has a Pravada newsreader :)

I think a link from somewhere else on the forum took me to the site & I did a bit of browsing.

Thank you for not mentioning the cricket.

Markw
16th September 2005, 01:30 PM
Mark, I work for SCC current entity, which depot was the pic taken at? I know a few of the more mature Poles/OH blokes and they may remember this beast.

Hi Pat
Didn't know anyone from EA actually was a member on this forum - small world. What section you with, me I'm with Logistics/Procurement, used to be with Fleet 15+ years ago.

The saw in the pic, which BTW Bob T, is a Hagen Saw not a swing saw as swing saws have a longer shaft, we believe was taken at Strathfield Pole Depot. If you look in the background you can just make out the old building that was on site and look at the number of poles. Haven't seem that many all in the one place ever.

Talking with our Timber Inspecter from Grafton, he said that one of the accidents which happened was the saw ran over an employee with the blade spinning!!

If you look at the pic; with the engine on the left, the blade spun counter clockwise therefore if your not careful the saw will push back at you and run over the top. Must be why the harness was fitted later on - to maintain the distance from body to the blade. If the blade run the other way then the saw would have pulled away from you and run out of control!!! That would have been really typical of Wyle E Coyote

DanP
16th September 2005, 06:31 PM
All the miils up here still use those saws...cept they have a cab on the back.

Dan

Pat
16th September 2005, 09:35 PM
Hi Mark, I'm with the Field Support at Oatley(another shiny *****). I deal with the D Ops mainly, but sit next to the Poles section. The Supt OH here said the saw look to be same one used in Mackeller so many years ago.
For the size of EA, I am suprised that a few more are not members, as EA employees are a very diverse cross section of the general population . . . :)