PDA

View Full Version : Rehandling a Doohickey

Big A
11th December 2016, 12:45 PM
I do not know what this tool is called. I suspect that it is used for rolling an edge on sheet metal or copper, but what would I know?

The leading hand out at the local Heritage Village asked if I could pretty it up a bit so that it could be put on a display board in the powerhouse, so I removed those very elegant handles and replaced them with a bit of local Ironbark. I thought that this item really should have ferrules, so a 25mm joiner provided that. Slapped a bit of Penetrol Woodoil on and there it is.

(Hope you can work out before and after!)

Alister.

Paul39
12th December 2016, 10:42 AM
Very nice. The handle shape is appropriate for an old tool.

smiife
12th December 2016, 07:13 PM
Hi al , yeah , I think the "tool" looked a bit like numbchuckers,
Much better now , a vast improvement , well done.
Did you find out what it actually is or does ?

Big A
12th December 2016, 08:43 PM
smiife,
Thanks. I be going out to the Village on Wed/Thu and might be able to find out what it is. The bloke that does the tool board in the powerhouse is not there the same days as me. He might not know either, as he just collects a few odd tools to put on display.

The makers name is a bit small for me to see, so I can't Google it yet - have to search for a magnifying glass.

Cheers,
Alister.

Big A
13th December 2016, 09:23 AM
It is a George Barnsley tool. They were mainly in leatherwork and cobbling tools, but I have not found out what this particular was for.

Alister.