PDA

View Full Version : Warning Saw Height Winder

Al Burdon
11th June 2001, 09:07 AM
Yesterday the chassis clip on the 2000 saw height adjuster spread apart and allowed my saw to eat a bit of table top and blade guard. Fortunately no body parts were close at the time. I have emailed a query to Triton. If you have this item take care.

ps Carbide tip blades make poor metal cut off saws

Sandy Johnston
13th June 2001, 02:38 PM
Why 2 plus horse power is held in place by a plastic clip needs some figuring out?
IS THE DUST FROM THE SAW THE THINKING MATTER?
I have wedged my saw in place with a solid wooden stop in the rails at the rear - both sides - and bound the frame to the stand with rope to prevent forward movement.
Now takes 5 minutes to change from table saw to crosscut mode but still have all fingers and no damage to blade or table.

I noted this problem in this buleting board earlier but I guess if it isn't your own equipment or person then thats okay.
Is there not a Safety Standard that manufacturing companies have to adhere to and is this included in the standard.
Sandy across the ditch.

Shane Watson
13th June 2001, 03:40 PM
One could say, you get what you pay for......

Might get a few bites from this one... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Al Burdon
13th June 2001, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Shane Watson:
One could say, you get what you pay for......

Might get a few bites from this one... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

You are right of course or you get what you can afford.

In addition I have had a reply that Triton had extensively tested this clip with no failure (but a redesigned one was avaiable)and I returned with the offer to demonstrate this failure and as I live close to the Triton factory have organised to meet with them tomorrow to discuss and demonstrate this problem. To date I have been extremely happy with the service I have recieved from Triton and I will keep you informed how I fair.

Al Burdon
14th June 2001, 04:00 PM
Update.
Visited with Triton today. After more trials they agreed the clip was unsatisfactory and the new clip was not much better. Said contact them in a month for the new new clip. They gave me a selection of replacement bits I had damaged from returned items etc. So I am back to where I started.
I have now drilled and pinned the rail through the black slides on the end furtherest from the power switch and there is now no play. If I need to convert to overhead cutting I just remove the self tappers and of we go.
Can't fault them on their after sale service but I think a little more thought in some areas might help.

John Saxton
14th June 2001, 05:24 PM
Thumbs up for Triton admitting their mistakes, but thumbs down to them for not doing a proper analysis as far as marketing and producing an item with concerns towards conditions under which these clips are employed.
Whilst Triton are to be commended for their continual marketplace input and ongoing research one mistake like this could put people off.So once again they must be applauded for recognising their faults a rare commoditie in this day and age!
Good luck Al, with folk like you the producers need to be on their toes.

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

David Cunningham
11th July 2001, 01:27 AM
Al, any follow up on the winder saga. Have Triton sorted out the part?
I've been looking at getting the winder but I'm concerned that it may allow too much movement of the saw. Have you found this to be the case?

barrysumpter
16th July 2001, 08:03 PM
Hi All,
Sorry I didn't see this Saturday or before. I've just returned from the 3rd Sunday Monthly Triton Users Group Meeting at Holmesglen. A number of safety issues have been coming up at the meeting of late and I would like to have addressed this issue then.

Could you please explain this a bit more in detail ....'the chassis clip on the 2000 saw height adjuster spread apart and allowed my saw to eat a bit of table top and blade guard'....

As I have been working with my six year old daughter in the work shop of late.

Under very very tight supervision.

And would like to prevent any mishaps.

Although she stands a good 20 feet away because of the noise (with ear muffs of course) it serves as a satisfying safety barrier as well.

And no she doesn't work any of the power tools.

Anyway if its the red horse looking snap on piece...You're correct we've been wrtting about this for yonks.

All the best and thanks for wrtting in.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

Al Burdon
17th July 2001, 07:07 AM
Yes Barry its the red bit you mentioned and I did see the discusion about it. I recieved a reply from triton today that the part had been modified and would be available in 1-2 months. I have drilled and self tapped my table to prevent reoccurrance.