PDA

View Full Version : New lathe advice

adem
12th December 2016, 06:51 PM
Hi guys,

I want to get into wood turning, and like to turn mainly bowls and pens, what lathe should I invest in, I got a price range from $500 to $1800. Any bit of advice would be appreciated

Thanks Adem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allan at Wallan
12th December 2016, 10:25 PM
Hi Adem,
The Woodfast M305 midi is a great lathe for bowls
and pens. Very reliable. Comes in manual belt change
or for extra dollars you can get the variable speed model.
Check out Carroll's Woodworking on this site for a price.

Allan

BobL
12th December 2016, 11:04 PM
Wood turning is one of THE most dusty woodworking activities so have you budgeted for a dust extractor.
And no, a mask doesn't really cut the mustard.

pommyphil
13th December 2016, 01:57 PM
And tools and sharpening gear and chucks and............ Great fun though. Phil.

adem
13th December 2016, 04:51 PM
Wood turning is one of THE most dusty woodworking activities so have you budgeted for a dust extractor.
And no, a mask doesn't really cut the mustard.

Yeah I have a carbtec hp2 dust extractor already set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

artful bodger
13th December 2016, 07:34 PM
Good quality wood lathes are generally pretty hard to wear out and should last longer than the average human lifespan.
On the other hand cheap and nasty ones could be worn out and disintergrate rapidly.
There are lots of quality second hand lathes out there that have done little work and if you are limited to a certain price it would probably be best to buy a second hand quality machine.
Compared to metal lathes, woodlathes have few parts that will wear out to the point of being unuseable.
Also with wood lathes, if one is being advertised it will be unlikely there will be hoardes of interested buyers beating you to clinch the deal. So take your time and post up pictures of prospective deals of advertised lathes that are for sale. There are lots of people on this forum who will happily advise you and help you make the right choice.