PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood M-320 lathe

Chrism3
13th December 2016, 12:57 PM
Has anyone bought one of these? I'm thinking about getting one, although I'll have to adjust my bench height downwards or build a platform to stand on due to the configuration.
The specs look good for the price.
https://www.timbecon.com.au/woodturning/550-x-320mm-woodlathe

pommyphil
13th December 2016, 01:52 PM
Looks good on paper. From Perth though, maybe a long way if you have a problem. Phil.

Chrism3
13th December 2016, 02:16 PM
Could be from Melbourne - quoted freight is only $30.
But buying anything woodwork from Canberra involves remote service - we don't have a local shop.

bueller
13th December 2016, 02:33 PM
Timbecon have a Melbourne store as well remember.

tom8
13th December 2016, 09:32 PM
hi I've bought this same lathe from timbecon at the Sydney woodshow a few months back but they do have a store in Melbourne. I have turned a few pens and small bowls with it and never had trouble, the evs is really handy too. As it's my first and only lathe I have nothing to compare it with so not sure how it stands against other makes like the woodfast midi.
cheers tom.

Mobyturns
14th December 2016, 07:01 AM
Pricewise it certainly looks very competitive for the spec level. I've never seen one, so only have the website photos to go by but I would make the comment that the VS pot is fairly exposed where it is mounted on the RHS. It could easily be accidentally damaged by the butt of an errant tool handle. The control placement position on the RHS is very good though safety wise.

Chrism3
14th December 2016, 10:23 AM
There is a series of videos demonstrating this model, albeit in its Chinese Woodfast colours, and in Japanese.
The first is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWEvGDfbj8U
One thing I noted is how far above centre the demonstrator's elbows are - but it doesn't seem to impede his work once turning begins in the follow on videos.

Mobyturns
14th December 2016, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't go as far as saying its a "Woodfast" though. Big difference in price from the M305X and a completely different machine.

Chrism3
14th December 2016, 04:15 PM
No, I said it was a Chinese Woodfast - see here:
http://www.woodfast.com.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=785&id=866
The Sherwood is just a different colour.

tom8
14th December 2016, 05:45 PM
I've just noticed you are in Canberra, I'm in jerra so you are more than welcomed to come and try the lathe to see if it suits your needs.
I have a couple of days off between xmas and new year.
cheers tom.

Chrism3
14th December 2016, 09:30 PM
That's helpful and generous Tom, I'll take you up on that - always up for an interstate trip!
Chris

GRW
15th December 2016, 08:06 AM
Hi,
the Sherwood lathe is very competitive with the 305 lathes. The Sherwood has a longer bed, it will turn 320mm and has 1HP motor. It looks very solid. Timbecon has a store in Coburg, Melbourne,

Gordon

Mobyturns
15th December 2016, 10:31 AM
No, I said it was a Chinese Woodfast - see here:
M320 - Wood Lathe (http://www.woodfast.com.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=785&id=866)
The Sherwood is just a different colour.

Nothing is safe! Talk about confusing.

greyhound
17th December 2016, 09:56 AM
Our club(Eltham and district woodworkers Vic) purchased one have used it a few times and was very impressed.
found it to be very quite with a extremely robust bed and a big beefy banjo with a 1 inch tool post.
only thing did not like was the tool rest as I prefer the Woodfast style.
2 other members have since purchased this model as well and are very happy with the lathe.
very attractive cost compared to the Woodfast ,if I was in the market for a new midi I would purchase this model.

BlackbuttWA
17th December 2016, 03:17 PM
I have a Sherwood, although mine is a 1642, before that I had the 900 & then the 1200.
Lathe is good, just no backup service for parts etc.
The service for these in WA is non-existent.

Col

Chrism3
17th December 2016, 03:27 PM
What sort of parts did you need? Did you need to claim under warranty?