PDA

View Full Version : Hello and info on diy jointer planers

robbates101
14th December 2016, 02:46 PM
Hi all
My fist post here.
Have received a lot of good advice and info over the time from this forum through google searching so thought it was time to participate.
I have removed an old pergola which is jarrah and thought rather than chopping up for firewood i would look into the option of making it into dressed timber.
My understanding is you use a jointer to get one side flat and then a planer/thicknesser to square up the rest.
Please educate me if this is not correct.
Are the $600 jointers planers etc capable of doing this job.
Regards
Rob

PJM16
14th December 2016, 03:20 PM
Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.
Good idea on reusing the timber rather than just burning it.
You're pretty close with your thinking.
Use the jointer to dress a face, or get it flat, final dressing can always be done with a thicknesser. Then put this face against the fence on the joiner, check that it's square to the bed first, and run one of the edges through the jointer.
Once you you one edge and one face square and dressed, use these as your reference when running through a thicknesser.
Good luck with it all.

old1955
14th December 2016, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the forum Rob.

Ross

robbates101
14th December 2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys.
So to dress a peice of timber on all sides do i need to buy a jointer and a thicknesser. I am assuming these are two different machines

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

PJM16
14th December 2016, 03:34 PM
To get consistent thickness it is easier if you have both machines. However if funds and workshop space are big factors, a combination machine is your best bet. Since you're machining jarrah I would strongly recommend a higher quality machine as jarrah is tough to work.

BobL
14th December 2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys.
So to dress a peice of timber on all sides do i need to buy a jointer and a thicknesser. I am assuming these are two different machines

A thicknesser will get two opposite sides parallel with each other whereas a jointer gets one side flat and and an adjacent side perpendicular to that.

It is possible to use a jointer to get get two adjacent sides ( age A and B) perpendicular and then make adjacent side C perpendicular to B and adjacent side D perpendicular to A or C but its much easier and a bit safer to use a thicknesser to do sides C and D.
This is actually a good way to check if everything is square.

robbates101
15th December 2016, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the good information.
Might look at a combination machine

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk