PDA

View Full Version : Ideas needed for woodworking while traveling

pintek
17th December 2016, 06:54 AM
My father in law has hit the grey nomad stage, migrating north for the winter each year and asked me for some ideas for keeping the saw dust addiction satisfied while he's moving about. I suggested a bit of carving but I don't think his hands (aka mud hooks) are up to the challenge. What do you gents do on the road to keep the timber withdrawals at bay?

seriph1
17th December 2016, 07:25 AM
Pen making comes to mind. Miniature lathe and basic tools.

John.G
17th December 2016, 07:31 AM
Accumulate bits of wood to play when he returns south for winter?

We aren't open to the general public except by appointment, but if he's up this far he's welcome to visit... All he's got to do is let me know when so someone is available. We've usually got something interesting lying around, and a cuppa and a yarn if he times smoko right.

pintek
17th December 2016, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the reply's gents. @Seriph - got the mistress of finance searching for a mini wood lathe as I type. Thanks for the suggestion :)
@John.G Will certainly pass that on - thank you for the offer. He does get up that way a bit so I believe he would enjoy that cuppa and yak.

seriph1
17th December 2016, 08:31 AM
Well sir, if you have a mistress and she has her hands on the money, I doubt there will be time for pen making! ;)

pintek
17th December 2016, 08:49 AM
When you put it that way, I'm either an octopus or an overachiever :2tsup: :D

TimM
9th January 2017, 09:44 AM
Perhaps he could call in on some Men's Sheds on his travels. Once you are a member of one it seems that you can 'visit' others. Plenty of equipment and good company to boot! Tim M

cava
9th January 2017, 10:54 AM
What about a small scroll saw for doing puzzles?

ian
9th January 2017, 02:23 PM
I suggest some box building.

Get him a "for the road" kit of tools.

I suggest:
12" combination square
6" combo square
600 mm rule
150 mm rule
marking knife
pencil
3m tape
#5 or #4 plane
adjustable mouth block plane
1/4" chisel
1/2" chisel
3/4" chisel
Wooden Mallet
Warrington hammer
14" back saw
90 degree shooting board
sharpening kit

For bench space, I suggest he calls into the men's shed where he happens to be.