PDA

View Full Version : Back into it.

torchwood
18th December 2016, 06:01 PM
Hi all, family issues the last two years slowed my turning up a bit and moving from the farm complicated things ... but now every things good.... at last. I'm on an wooded acre near Castlemaine Vic. and the living is easy. My Poolwood lathe finally cacked itself a couple of months ago, my fault, during the house move was stored under tarp but moisture got into the windings. I was finishing this 1st piece and only had 4 more grades of sandpaper and a polish to finish it off when the shed filled with the wonderful aroma of electrical winding's going to their God. (Let me confess right here joyfully, I've been waiting for this lathe to die.)

So onwards and upwards, I bought the Vicmarc VL 200L SM EVS 1.5kW lathe. I almost bought the Chinese made Laguna 18/36 Lathe which would have been shear madness as the Vicmarc was only $200 more ( It's on special for $4050.00) + $200 in freight extra. They also threw in 2 chuck inserts for the 120 and 100 Vicmarc chucks for free. I bought it off Timberbits if I am allowed to say.

That's enough waffling, time to get back to turning on this new lathe, I've wasted enough time these last 2 years.
1st piece started on old lathe, finished on new. 2nd and 3rd pieces done on old lathe. Cheers, Harry.

smiife
18th December 2016, 06:59 PM
Hi harry, good to see you are back in to it ! :U
Three nice turnings there , well done
Are they red mallee burls ?
What sort of finish did you use ?

torchwood
18th December 2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks smiife, good to be back. The wood is Iron bark burl I think.
Because of all the holes, I didn't want to use a wax that would have clogged everything up so I bought this liquid from IGA called "CO Original Polishing Oil" Linseed Rich. $8.00 a bottle. So far so good. I'd like to try and see how shiny I can get it.

Paul39
19th December 2016, 03:42 AM
Torchwood,

Very nice pieces. I don't think you lost any ability while you were away from the lathe.

torchwood
19th December 2016, 12:37 PM
Thanks Paul, you are much too kind. Remembering all the tools and their uses is the hardest thing.

Hors
20th December 2016, 01:29 PM
Hi all, family issues the last two years slowed my turning up a bit and moving from the farm complicated things ... but now every things good.... at last. I'm on an wooded acre near Castlemaine Vic. and the living is easy. My Poolwood lathe finally cacked itself a couple of months ago, my fault, during the house move was stored under tarp but moisture got into the windings. I was finishing this 1st piece and only had 4 more grades of sandpaper and a polish to finish it off when the shed filled with the wonderful aroma of electrical winding's going to their God. (Let me confess right here joyfully, I've been waiting for this lathe to die.)

So onwards and upwards, I bought the Vicmarc VL 200L SM EVS 1.5kW lathe. I almost bought the Chinese made Laguna 18/36 Lathe which would have been shear madness as the Vicmarc was only $200 more ( It's on special for $4050.00) + $200 in freight extra. They also threw in 2 chuck inserts for the 120 and 100 Vicmarc chucks for free. I bought it off Timberbits if I am allowed to say.

That's enough waffling, time to get back to turning on this new lathe, I've wasted enough time these last 2 years.
1st piece started on old lathe, finished on new. 2nd and 3rd pieces done on old lathe. Cheers, Harry.

Would be really keen to hear your thoughts on VL200,as I plan to buy same in new year

Paul39
21st December 2016, 11:47 AM
Thanks Paul, you are much too kind. Remembering all the tools and their uses is the hardest thing.

This should give you a reminder: Beginners Guide to Woodturning (http://www.woodworking.co.uk/Technical/Beginners/beginners.html)

Considering the work above, you don't need much reminding. I have a few basic wood turning books which I re-read periodically. I learn something every time.

torchwood
21st December 2016, 02:20 PM
Would be really keen to hear your thoughts on VL200,as I plan to buy same in new year

Hi Hors, since i haven't used it much, it's a bit early for me to give an opinion on the new lathe,other than to say it's.................................................................. perfect! Smooth as. :2tsup: