PDA

View Full Version : Standard Lamp

KBs PensNmore
21st December 2016, 09:09 PM
I've been asked to make a standard lamp about 1.2 metres long, the only problem is my lathe, a Symtec, is only about 900 centres. :oo: To get the length required, I had to make an extension bed for the lathe, after a bit of milling, read grinding and filing, the tailstock fitted. See photo below, I can now get 1500 BC.
The Customer supplied the wood, but didn't want it joined in the middle, as he'd drilled the hole for the cabling down the centre, 1/2", the tube fitting that goes in there is 1/2" also, another problem. The base is made up from a piece of laminated beam 350 mm diam, and the upper section from a couple of blocks of ply wood, all glued together. I'd cut it round before gluing, as I only had about 10 mm clearance under it all.
Having turned the post of the lamp, he then tells me that he'd like 4 flutes on the sides, and a switch about halfway up. He supplied an old lamp that I had to dismantle to get the parts, problem was, that the parts he wanted to use, already had a switch on it, so I got a light fitting that is suspended by its cable and swap parts over. No point in having 2 switches on the unit, as someone would switch it off on the top, then the other half would try to switch it on at the middle switch, that was my reasoning to swap the pieces over. :?
To get the tube to stay, required the use of some 5 minute epoxy.
Finish is wax and elbow grease on the flutes.
C and C welcome.
Kryn

chuck1
21st December 2016, 10:50 PM
Well done Turning it in one bit.