PDA

View Full Version : The importance of maintaining your tool rests

Oddy
24th December 2016, 07:52 AM
A bit of advice to fellow beginner/novice turners - maintain your tool rests!

I've been having a go at some pens as simple Christmas presents for people. Pens are a lot smaller than most of the stuff I usually do.
I've had my 2nd hand lathe for a bit over a year now and never given my tool rests a second thought. Well I started running into trouble especially with some of the less cooperative timbers while trying to turn these tiny pen cylinders. I had the lathe running fast (>2200 rpm) and using a small skew that I thought was sharp. Also put only a single pen segment on the pen mandrel to keep the distance between centres a minimum and avoid flexing. Still I kept getting horrible results off my skew and couldn't work out why I kept getting a rough cut that would then turn into a chattery mess across the pen length.

Thinking I had messed up on the sharpening I kept going back to hone or even grind my skew but still the same results. Then it struck me that this would be easier if the skew would slide across the rest bit smoother and not have that "sticky", "grabby" feel. On examination of my rest, it was full of small nicks and dings.

So I took to the rest with a file, then emery cloth, and finally gave it a light smear of finishing wax. What a revelation :o !!!! The difference to my cuts was immediate with a MASSIVE improvement. It seems those nicks have a very big impact when you are working with a small piece and using a small, light weight skew. Hopefully I will see an improvement on the bigger stuff now too :U.

pommyphil
24th December 2016, 08:33 AM
Yes, most tool rests are cast iron or mild steel, much softer than your HSS tools, so easily dinged.

I've welded 10mm stainless steel, tool steel or HSS round bar on top of mine, it made a huge difference.

Phil

chuck1
24th December 2016, 08:41 AM
Guys at the Club look at me strange when I talk about draw filing my toolrests. At least once a year. I
I talk about it at my teaching days.

Old-Biker-UK
24th December 2016, 09:39 AM
Had a similar problem, used to make dozens of lace bobbins and regularly had to get rid of the 1/16" dip in the tool rest.
Made another rest from hardened tool steel, no more problems.
Mark

orraloon
24th December 2016, 11:14 AM
It's also a good idea to slightly round the corners on your skews, scrapers and parting tools so you don't make so many dings in the rest. I give the rest a rub with emery paper now and then when it feels a bit rough.
Regards
John

hughie
24th December 2016, 12:10 PM
I have moved away from cast iron tool rests, did so several years ago. Mine now are all steel and many are hardened high carbon steel. So largely the problem no longer exists for me. In fact when I think about it I cant remember the last time I touched up a tool rest.

woodPixel
24th December 2016, 01:10 PM
I like the cast iron. It hurts my hands less.

Each session is begun with 80 grit on a block and a quick back-and-forth on the rest. Keeps it smooth and shiney :)

hughie
24th December 2016, 07:11 PM
? not sure what that means

woodPixel
24th December 2016, 09:28 PM
My feeling are only based on personal experience. I've quite a few steel rests bought from a fellow forumite and they are all steel. Lovely things too and great to use, but if it get a catch the clang rings right through your wrists.

With the cast iron it's more of a thud and the tool sort of bounces.

The surfacing is a trick I was taught by . I just wrap a block of timber with some 80 grit and give it a rub. Leaves it shiny and smooth. The tool slides easily.

He also taught me to use WD40 on the bed at the beginning and end of each session.

powderpost
24th December 2016, 10:18 PM
I will use 320# paper on a tool rest if I am thread chasing. Will even go to the trouble of buffing the tool rest and the back of the chasers...

Jim

hughie
25th December 2016, 06:16 PM
My feeling are only based on personal experience. I've quite a few steel rests bought from a fellow forumite and they are all steel. Lovely things too and great to use, but if it get a catch the clang rings right through your wrists.

With the cast iron it's more of a thud and the tool sort of bounces.

The surfacing is a trick I was taught by . I just wrap a block of timber with some 80 grit and give it a rub. Leaves it shiny and smooth. The tool slides easily.

He also taught me to use WD40 on the bed at the beginning and end of each session.

Ok got it, although for me so far this has not been an issue. But then the majority of my handles are foam wrapped and this no doubt has much to with it. I am also particular on the dia of my handles, they made specifically to fit my hand 32mm dia. Plus one development that has come along over the time. I have my lathe centre height at a point it allows me to tuck the handle in my armpit very comfortably .So on a 400 mm foam covered handle tucked under the arm there is little wrist or arm damage on any catch. I have had the lathe at this height for around 8 years now.

pommyphil
26th December 2016, 06:21 AM
So how does that work Hughie ? Is it higher or lower than "normal". Where in relation to your elbow? Thanks. Phil.

hughie
26th December 2016, 01:04 PM
So how does that work Hughie ? Is it higher or lower than "normal". Where in relation to your elbow? Thanks. Phil.
My elbow is just over 1m and my lathe centre is around 1200.Seeing that I turn almost exclusively it also helps with checking the inside of the vessels.

smiife
26th December 2016, 08:26 PM
I will use 320# paper on a tool rest if I am thread chasing. Will even go to the trouble of buffing the tool rest and the back of the chasers...

Jim

Hi jim, finally we are hearing all your secrets !
Anymore to share ! :U:U

Mobyturns
28th December 2016, 08:33 AM
Hi jim, finally we are hearing all your secrets !
Anymore to share ! :U:U

Be nice to your Mum!

smiife
29th December 2016, 09:25 PM
Be nice to your Mum!

Always tried too !
And I need all the help i can get with my thread chasing :o

Mobyturns
30th December 2016, 12:21 AM
Be nice to your Mum!

Always tried too !
And I need all the help i can get with my thread chasing :o

Me too, and my thread chasing is terrible as well.