PDA

View Full Version : Weather Boards

Dozey Dougy
4th September 2005, 01:25 PM
I am trying to cut several pieces of timber so that they sit flush against the weather boards. How do I accurately mark the piece to be cut? Help needed.

Dozey Dougy:confused:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2005, 06:16 PM
That's an awkward one, no matter what you do.

I'd go one of three ways, depending on what I have to hand:

- Use a profiliing gauge. This is one of theose things that looks like a 100 nails laying side by side and clamped together and conforms to a shape when pressed against it.

- Use an offcut of the weatherboard as a marking template. You'd really need to take care to allow for each individual overlap in case the builder "shimmed" a few as they neared the top.

- Make a cardboard template. Fiddly, but workable.

There's other methods but they're all variations of making a template, I think.

Dozey Dougy
4th September 2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks for those hints. I thought that I saw some easy trick done on the telly but you've given me something to think about

Dozey

maxpower
6th September 2005, 08:23 PM
Hi there, i would hold up your timber to the weatherboards on your wall and using a little piece of scrap timber as a spacer (say 20mm wide) with a pencil held against it "trace" the profile against your piece of timber. (this is "scribing" of sorts Then all you need to do is cut the waste timber out - preferably with a jig saw or similiar and voila!!

echnidna
6th September 2005, 10:44 PM
use a pair of engineers dividers and scribe the cut line with the timber held against the weatherboards

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th September 2005, 10:58 PM
Just a word of warning: if you scribe a line this way take care that you always hold whatever your scribing with at the same angle to the plane of the wall.

Otherwise you find things just don't fit and sit there scratching your head for half an hour wondering where you went wrong. DAMHIKT :o