PDA

View Full Version : Carbatec Pen bushes

smidsy
4th September 2005, 01:47 PM
Ok, normally I am supportive of Carbatec and recommend them to anyone.
Carbatec feel free to sue me over this post, I work for an ISP so I know the rules, and additionally, your lawyers will tell you what mine have - that if it is true it is not slander.

Went in Carbatec here in Perth yesterday and got the BUSH9 bushes to suit the PEN9 click pens and these bushes are junk.

One of the end bushes needed some work with sandpaper before it will fit in the pen tube (above cat# bought from Carbatec last Saturday) and the middle bush I cannot get on the mandrel - Cat# MAND91 also bought from Carbatec.

I got the middle bush about half way over the threaded part of the mandrel and then had to put in the vice to remove it.
It could be used with brute force to fit and remove but the reality is that it will need to be drilled out to be useable.

Posting this as a warning to others, if you buy these bushes from Carbatec take your mandrel and check the fit before you leave the shop.

I could return these but the distance I have to travel means fixing them myself is easier.

This is post is not intended as a Carbatec bag, but a warning to others and I will say in fairness that everything else I've bought from Carbatec (including my lathe) has been bullet proof.

Cheers
Paul

dai sensei
4th September 2005, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately this is a common fault not restricted to Carbatec. I get mine from GPW mostly, but Gary warned me about the problem.

Cheers

PaulS
4th September 2005, 06:27 PM
Why don't you ring them tomorrow and get them to express post out some replacements, but then it sounds like the replacements wont be much good either

Paul

bdar
4th September 2005, 10:28 PM
Paul,

Like Neil said, I to got mine from GPW as well. Gary said there may be a problem, so when I got home I ran a 7mm drill through the bushes and used a diamond file to chamfer the edges that gointo the tubes.

Darren

Jim Carroll
5th September 2005, 10:00 PM
We find it is a problem from time to time and it does not matter who the supplier is. It is caused by the machine that makes the bushes and when they are parted of can leave a small burr. If you find you have to push on hard then stop and clean the burr. Do not keep pushing or you have the problem of trying to get it back of and butchering the bush and sometimes the mandrel.