PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Thread

Just George
4th September 2005, 04:52 PM
Is there a way of cutting new threads onto the pipe used in pipe clamps? I can buy a 6m length for about $30 from my local steel merchant, for an extra $1 they'll even cut it half so I can get it home but 3m clamps are of no use to me - neither are shorter lenghts that don't have any thread on them.
Woody

javali
4th September 2005, 05:13 PM
You can get pipe thread cutters at major plumbing tools suppliers, e.g. Reece. (I do not know if they have branches in Mali.) You may also try asking your local plumber to do that for you. He probably has the equipment.

Iain
4th September 2005, 05:20 PM
Local plumbers will do a heap of them for a slab of something decent.

Ian007
4th September 2005, 05:47 PM
the local plumbing supply can help with the thread also you can get joiners for this threaded pipe so you can have several lenghts joined together to make very large clamps.

I would get them to cut the pipe in 1200 lenghts so when joined you get
1200,2400,3600,4800 and 6000 lenghts
many size clamps for not that much extra cost :D :D

Hope that helps

Cheers Ian :)

doug the slug
4th September 2005, 09:00 PM
I would get them to cut the pipe in 1200 lenghts so when joined you get
1200,2400,3600,4800 and 6000 lenghts
many size clamps for not that much extra cost :D :D

jeeeeezussss, are you going to clamp with thathttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gif

Ian007
4th September 2005, 10:03 PM
well you just never know do ya :D

soundman
4th September 2005, 10:10 PM
Just beware of the pipe diameter trap.
Some of the imported warer pipe has a nonstandard OD. I don't make a blind bit of difference for plumbing & most other uses but its a bugger for clutch type pipe clamps.
The tail clamp heads will not fit the non standard pipe. The old excentric toothed clamp type work fine.
Take a clamp head with you when you buy.
cheers

Sturdee
4th September 2005, 11:34 PM
Is there a way of cutting new threads onto the pipe used in pipe clamps?

You can bring them down to my place and I'll let you use my threadcutting machine. Any size pipe from 1/2, 3/4 , 1 or 2 " is okay. :D

Peter.

FlyingDuck
4th September 2005, 11:53 PM
Hi woodworker101

I am in the same boat as you. I recently bought a bag of pony pipe clamps from the states, and am looking to get the pipes. So far I have bought black pipe from the Home Depot in Canada, but can only bring a few pieces across with me each trip, so would like to find a local source in Brisbane.

Who sold you the pipe, and is it black gas pipe (don't know if they sell it in Aust), or galvanized pipe, or something else? Did it fit your pipe clamps, with regards to the problems soundman said about diamters?

Finally, did you find someone to thread them for ya? I take it the steel merchants will cut it for you, but don't have the threading machine.

RETIRED
4th September 2005, 11:56 PM
jeeeeezussss, are you going to clamp with thathttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gif
Have used 5 metre clamps on a boardroom table once. :D

Tankstand
5th September 2005, 07:55 AM
You can always join your smaller lengths together with ¾" sockets!

I know it is really expensive, but bunnies sell water pipe in various lengths, threaded both ends.

ndru
5th September 2005, 10:44 AM
I know it is really expensive, but bunnies sell water pipe in various lengths, threaded both ends.

I was quite amazed at the price that my local Bunnies wanted for a 1.2m length of 3/4" gal threaded pipe. I think it was in the range of $50 :eek: . I was equally suprised to find the same things in Mitre 10 for about $15.

I contacted 2 Reece plumbing stores to see if they sold the stuff and they both said they don't, recommending me to Bunnings!

Does anyone know of a cheap source of this gear in Adelaide?

Clinton1
5th September 2005, 11:26 AM
Any steel supplier sells water pipe, threaded one end. Hacksaws cut to size, and as said before you can buy thread cutters.
For the Bunnings price (for a meter) you can get 5 meters at the steel suppliers.
I get steel this way and hacksaw it to fit into the station wagon. :D
Reasonably priced pipe clamp sets - $15 a set from Carbatec???

Scally
5th September 2005, 11:40 AM
Woody
I bought half a dozen Rocker pipe clamps. They are much better than the cheap variety I had.
The local hardware had a 2m lenght of pipe , threaded both ends for $30 or a lengthe of pipe for $60.
They said they were expensive because plumbers were using more plastic for plumbing?

I looked at tap and die sets but didn't want to spend the money when all I wanted to do was cut a 3/4" thread.

I went to my local steel supplier one Saturday morning. I could see he was expecting another stupid request froma weekend warrior.
Atleast it wasn't a quarter to 12.

When I told him what I wanted , he couldn't have been more helpful.
He found a rack of seconds and offerred me 6m for $30.
When I asked if he could cut and thread them, he said Saturday was not a good time.
When I said I wasn't in a hurry and offerred him cash he said he would have it done on half an hour.

An hour later, I had 6 X 2m pipes, threaded one end, for $50.

Couldn't be happier.

Maybe you need to try a couple of steel yards.

soundman
5th September 2005, 03:52 PM
The bunnings pre threaded pipes are some of the ofending articles.
In a fit of " bugger it this is quick & easy " I baught "a number" of pipes from bunnings. I don't remember the price being that nasty though. All is well with my existing clamps but won't fit the plate clutch clamps.

My brother ( the metal master) recons some blokes won't thread the imported stuff, tooo hard on the cutters. Impurities in the steel aparantly.

Keep you eye on the usual second hand sources for threading gear. I've picked up various hand threaders for a fraction of what they would cost to replace. A lot of plumbers these days don't want to know about threading, too much hard work.

A loooong clamp can be very handy for perswading various things to co operate from time to time.

one thing I must do is put a long thread on some of my pipes so I can reverse the clamping head as a spreader.

cheers

Sturdee
5th September 2005, 05:23 PM
one thing I must do is put a long thread on some of my pipes so I can reverse the clamping head as a spreader.

cheers

Good idea, must do that as well.

I got all my pipes from a wecker's yard, cut them to lenght and then threaded them. :D

Peter.

Just George
5th September 2005, 06:48 PM
Hi woodworker101

I am in the same boat as you. I recently bought a bag of pony pipe clamps from the states, and am looking to get the pipes. So far I have bought black pipe from the Home Depot in Canada, but can only bring a few pieces across with me each trip, so would like to find a local source in Brisbane.

Who sold you the pipe, and is it black gas pipe (don't know if they sell it in Aust), or galvanized pipe, or something else? Did it fit your pipe clamps, with regards to the problems soundman said about diamters?

Finally, did you find someone to thread them for ya? I take it the steel merchants will cut it for you, but don't have the threading machine.

I bought my pipe from Smorgan Steel at Northgate, they cut it in half so I could get it home(2 x 3m). They didn't thread it but I need to find someone who can do it or get something I can do it myself with. The pipe I bought wasn't wasted as I got 3 PowerPresses cheap as Bunnings was no longer stocking them, they use the same size pipe and don't need a thread. I have a small supply of the clamps, just no threaded pipe. I can cut the pipe no problem with my steel saw.
Thankyou for all of your advice.
Woody

FlyingDuck
5th September 2005, 08:56 PM
Woody, I rang up 7 or 8 places looking for pipe today, but to no joy. There were a couple that were selling 3/4" pipe, but with only a max thickness of 2 mm, which would be no good, as they said it would bend even under its own weight.

I even rang up Smorgan steel, the company that you bought from, and they said they don't sell 3/4" pipe??? What do you have to ask for, as maybe I am not saying the magic words?

Any luck finding a thread cutter? If you do, please let me know, as I also would need him once I can find the pipe in the first place.

What is the thickness of your pipe, does it fit your clamps okay, how much did it cost, and is it galv or raw?

Is the pipe nice and rigid, do you think you could make a 5" clamp out of it and not have to worry about it bending when you apply pressure?

Lots of quesitons, sorry about that:o

Richie
6th September 2005, 05:34 PM
Hi,

for any Adelaideans who are looking for black pipe and someone to thread it:

I bought black pipe from the big steel place on the northern side of Grand Junction Rd, just past Hanson Rd (Smorgon I think).

There is a one man business in Wingfield called Grina Engineering, where I got the ends threaded ($5 per thread).

Richie

ndru
6th September 2005, 06:00 PM
There is a one man business in Wingfield called Grina Engineering, where I got the ends threaded ($5 per thread).

The pipe is easy enough to get, but the threading is the hard part. I know that Kennards hire threading tools (about $20/day for hire of a manual tool, which is hard work :( , or $130/day for a motorised version :eek: ). This makes the idea of buying unthreaded pipe cheaply and threading it yourself less attractive.

I hadn't thought of contacting small engineering firms. There are quite a few of them within 10km of my house. Thanks for the idea, Richie! :D

PaulS
6th September 2005, 08:26 PM
What about this pipe threader on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BSP-3-8-to-1-1-4-RATCHET-PIPE-THREADER-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ7542124222QQcategoryZ633QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

haven't used one, anyelse seen one/used one before?

spitnchips
6th September 2005, 10:50 PM
What about this pipe threader on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BSP-3-8-to-1-1-4-RATCHET-PIPE-THREADER-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ7542124222QQcategoryZ633QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BSP-3-8-to-1-1-4-RATCHET-PIPE-THREADER-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ7542124222QQcategoryZ633QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

haven't used one, anyelse seen one/used one before?
They are hand dies ,the way they used to do it in Noahs day. They are in sizes up to 4" ( maybe more, thats the biggest i've seen) The secret is to use good quality sharp dies with a cutting compound like trefalex etc. Pipe comes in different wall thickness, and for longer lengths you want to use heavier walled pipe to reduce the amount of flex when clamping. This can be purchased pre screwed. If having trouble locating it ,ask an industrial plumber where they get their supplies. Hope this helps

soundman
6th September 2005, 11:33 PM
For those brisbane members, if push comes to shove. The soundman has threading gear.
You need to ask for 20mm nominal bore. The dopy blitters it the steel suppliers should know that.
cherrs

Waldo
6th September 2005, 11:40 PM
G'day,

Like Soundman has offered in Brisbane (Soundman, you beat me with your offer), anyone in the S.E suburbs of Melbourne, if you need some pipe threads cut to any size give me a shout.

I have hand dies up to 4", more than willing to help out. :D

journeyman Mick
6th September 2005, 11:49 PM
Companies that fit fire sprinkler systems will be able to supply and or thread pipe for you, they use truckloads of it.

Mick

toolman
7th September 2005, 12:03 AM
Just to make you all cry, I bought a complete pipe threading kit for 3/4 water pipe at a garage sale for 50 cents :)

Doing them by hand is easy if you first run a file around the edge of the pipe to angle the first few mils. This helps to get the die seated. Use plenty of cutting compound and keep backing the die off every few turns to help clear the swarf.

I didn't even know what it was when I bought it but I just knew it would come in handy one day.

Toolman

Waldo
7th September 2005, 12:05 AM
G'day Toolman,

Didn't buy mine. :D

Came by very sad turn of events. :(

But 50cents is an excellent buy! It's always worth checking out garage sales, sometimes they don't know the value of what they're selling which is great for those who find them.

FlyingDuck
7th September 2005, 03:13 AM
Soundman

Thanks, I might just take you up on that, if I could only just find the pipe. Like I said before, I rang all the big steel merchants in the yellow pages, and nobody had anything suitable. Do you know where I can get it in Brisbane? What suburb are you in?

soundman
7th September 2005, 09:17 PM
I can get the pipe at one of my local steel shops.
Give me a little while to excavate my workshop & find the threading gear.
cheers

FlyingDuck
7th September 2005, 10:20 PM
Soundman, can you let me know the contact details of this steel shop? What do you ask for when ordering it? I have rang lots of steel merchants asking for 3/4" pipe, but they all say their max thickness it 2 mm, which is no good for clamps. What it the thickness of the stuff they sell, and is it galv or not? Do you remember what price you paid?

Where abouts in Brisbane are ya?

soundman
7th September 2005, 10:36 PM
I have to go there tomorrow will invistigate details & report.
cheers

Wongo
8th September 2005, 10:26 AM
Pipe threader! I’ve got one. :)

Stuart
8th September 2005, 11:23 AM
Hey Gumby- isn't it time you took this thread and piped it off on a hijack?

Waldo
8th September 2005, 11:29 AM
G'day,

He's been a quiet little guy hasn't he? Thought he might of given a few pointers in my topic re: 10amp leads - it is open to it after all.

Maybe the guy is busy, maybe I'm not that busy and posting to many replies etc. But then maybe he's got himslef lost in some vast aisle at C/T?

adrian
8th September 2005, 11:56 AM
I purchased my pipe for the US Pony brand clamps from Dorvik. They cut it to length and threaded it for a few dollars each.

MICKYG
8th September 2005, 01:50 PM
Its real handy having a son in law who is a plumber and gas fitter, bits of pipe are not much of a problem.

Regards Mike. :D :D :D :D :D

Just George
8th September 2005, 07:27 PM
Its real handy having a son in law who is a plumber and gas fitter, bits of pipe are not much of a problem.

Regards Mike. :D :D :D :D :D

Can you find out from this son-in-law the correct size of pipe cutter and where to get them from and let us know please.

Waldo
8th September 2005, 07:52 PM
G'day Woodeworker101,

No idea where you are, but if you're in Vic near the outer eastern foothills, then I have pipecutters that'll cut 3/4" pipe too - and happy to help :D

Tiger
8th September 2005, 07:53 PM
Having a pipe threader is one thing, you'll also probably need a pipe vice to hold the pipe. Most pipe threading equipment will create threads, the good ones will do them faster. A small chamfer to get started will help enormously.

Waldo
8th September 2005, 07:59 PM
G'day,

A good strong metal vice'll do the same thing - that's how I've always done it.

Tiger
8th September 2005, 08:02 PM
Waldo,

Didn't you notice any slippage? What size and make of vice have you got?

Waldo
8th September 2005, 08:08 PM
G'day Tiger,

It's a 6" (from memory - could be wrong) Dawn metal vice bolted to a housing which in turn is welded to a 3" (or there abouts) water pipe and dynabolted to my shed floor. Stands at elbow height.

Tighten it up good and the jaws hold the pipe nice and snug.

Just George
8th September 2005, 08:10 PM
Waldo,

Didn't you notice any slippage? What size and make of vice have you got?

Have you tried the Triton Superjaws fitted with Cast Engineer Jaws, it has 1000kg clamping over a range of 900mm. More than enough I should think.

Woody

Tiger
8th September 2005, 08:40 PM
It's on my shopping list. Have bought most of the Triton gear but my budget will only go so far.

My experience with standard vices has been that I've got the threads to work but it took a lot longer than when I used a pipe vice.

FlyingDuck
8th September 2005, 08:44 PM
I see the light!!! I have been ringing around asking for 3/4" OD pipe the last few days, and nobody had it. So I measured my existing pipe clamps, and discovered they are actually about 27 mm OD, not 19.05 mm. I have not idea why call them 3/4" pipe clamps then. Anyhow, should be able to get this easily, as everyone on the phone was saying "No mate, but we have plenty of 27.1 mm stuff". Some guy even tried to tell me that I should be using the 27.1 mm stuff for pipe clamps, but I told him, no don't be stupid, these are 3/4" clamps. Now I feel like the stupid one.

Now I know the pipe to get, what thickness pipe are you guys using?

Waldo
8th September 2005, 08:46 PM
G'day Tiger,

Can understand that, but when it's a thing like that which only gets a certain and limited useage, then I'll look to something else that'll do the same job, even if a bit slower.

Like all things there's a million ways to do the same thing - at least two ways and they can be both right. :D

Waldo
8th September 2005, 08:48 PM
G'day FlyingDuck,

If you can wait until tomorrow I'll go down tpo the shed and post back for you. :D

Better a question than none at all.

FlyingDuck
8th September 2005, 08:55 PM
Sure, no problems Waldo, can't have you tramping around the back in the dark. Woody, if you are still on line, what do you remember the OD & ID of the pipe you got from Smorgans the other day?

soundman
8th September 2005, 09:18 PM
AHHH the nominal bore trap.
all water pipe is sized on nominal bore, the inside diameter. 3/4 or 20 nominal bore is arround 27mm OD

Anyway checked down my local steel store, they have a variety of cheap 20NB starting at extra light & going up 1.6, 2, 2.7, 3.
not necessarilly all in stock.
However took my digi vernier with & they all measure the same as my existing oversize pipes. 27.somethingmm
The can get in ausie made pipe in a variety of sizes but its twice the price.
so
will need to get hold of some clutch type clamps for testing.
alternatively
If someone has clutch type clamps & pipe that works AND has some accurate measuring equipment. They could measure & post the details.

On an other subject, realted. I checked my mate the importers catalogue & there it is. ratchet threading kit for 1/2", 3/4" and 1" $60.
Have to go there tomorrow to pick up some stock will check if in stock and quality.
anybody interested.
cheers

Sturdee
8th September 2005, 11:31 PM
you'll also probably need a pipe vice to hold the pipe.

I agree, got one from trash and treasure for $ 2. The guy selling it had no idea what it was. :D

Peter.

FlyingDuck
8th September 2005, 11:35 PM
Anyway checked down my local steel store, they have a variety of cheap 20NB starting at extra light & going up 1.6, 2, 2.7, 3.

So what thickness is the best for pipe clamps, say up to 5" long? Are we talking about galvanized "water" pipes, or other?

Sturdee
8th September 2005, 11:51 PM
My pipe clamps are 1/2 " so I use the 1/2" gal water pipe, bought from wreckers and cut them to size and thread them.

Peter.

Clinton1
9th September 2005, 09:39 AM
I spoke with my steel supplier.
Ask for 20 MPGE Galvanised Pipe. (20 mm internal diameter Medium Galvanised Pipe E???). This is the "heavy walled water pipe that wood workers use for threading for pipe clamps" says the fella on the end of the phone. 20 MPGE Gal Pipe is the industry descriptor, so you should be able to use the term anywhere.
As Soundman and others mention: 3/4" is 19.05 internal diameter vide the imperial/metric conversion, but that is now the 20 mm internal diameter in metric world. The outer diameter is 27 mm in 20 MPGE, giving a 3.5 mm thick wall.

20 MBPE (20 mm internal Medium Black Pipe E???) can be used, of course, to skip around any probs with gal. Then you'll need to paint/powdercoat.
Central Steel, Somerton and Laverton, Melbourne are my blokes and my July dated price catalogue says that it is $23.35 for a 6.5 meter length. Which is 3 x 1800 mm and one x 1000 mm pipes at $5.80 each. Cheaper than the big B.

I have never used a pipe vise, never even seen one, and have only nipped the pipe up in a normal metal working vise and threaded that.
Chamfering the end of the pipe to help get the threader started is very sound advice.
Any vise or clamps could hold the pipe, perhaps by first making a couple of 'jaws' using offcuts, using a hole cutter in the centre of an offcut, then cutting the offcut in two. ???confused?? The resulting semi circle fits around the pipe, and the flat side of the offcuts buts to the wood vise jaw and allows the clamp to apply the force needed to hold the pipe. So you can do it without a metal working vise.
Hope this helps people to find what you need.
Cheers
Clinton

FlyingDuck
9th September 2005, 07:40 PM
I done a bit more researching of my own today. In Brisbane you gotta ask for 20 nominal bore (20NB), and then you have the choice of thickness as follows:

extra light - 2 mm

light - 2.3 mm

med - 2.6 mm

heavy - 3.2 mm

Most suppliers have medium, but only found one so far that sells heavy.

Does anybody know which to get - medium or heavy???

Price wise, I can get 6.5 m of galv medium for $20 bucks, with the heavy wall more than double at $50.

Just wondering if I could save some money and make do with the med, or would I only have problems and should go with the heavy?
Woody, if you ever read this forum again, what thickness did you get the other day?

Just George
9th September 2005, 11:50 PM
FlyingDuck,

I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm off to the coast tomorrow(Saturday) where hopefully I can get some good cheap timber and find out about pipe thread cutter. If I can't then I have found where I can get access to a thread cutter for a short term.

Woody

soundman
10th September 2005, 10:05 PM
Results of investigation
1. can supply threading kit for 1/2bsp, 3/4bsp, 1" bsp for anybody who wants their own at $65 including gst correct current pricing.
2. went to carbatec & calipered their old test pipe & it was about 26.somethingmm. Interesting thing The sample pipe clamp ( currently no stock) seemed to have more clearance in the clamping plates. So they may work with the imported pipe.
3. medium wall should be fine on a pipe that small 3.2mm wall is pretty heavy & chunky. My pipes are all 2.somethingmm.
4. got some stuff on so havn't dug up the threading gear yet.
cheers

Just George
10th September 2005, 10:35 PM
Soundman,
I'm interested in a set for 3/4 BSP pipe, I live in Brisbane so would like to hear where I can get it.

soundman
10th September 2005, 10:50 PM
The threading kit does all ther pipe sizes.
I get them from a wholesaler friend of mine. Send me a PM or email via the board & I can arrange.
cheers

ndru
10th September 2005, 11:17 PM
can supply threading kit for 1/2bsp, 3/4bsp, 1" bsp for anybody who wants their own at $65 including gst correct current pricing.

That's a bloody good price - I'm in! I'll probably be upgrading my house's hot water service next year, which provides me with the opportunity to salvage about 10m of old screwfitted piping, so the threadcutter might be a good investment.

What size is the packaging? Any idea of postage costs to Adelaide?

soundman
12th September 2005, 12:21 AM
The pipe threader kit is in a plastic blow moulded case. I recon its will cost arround $20 to post to SA.
cheers

rick_rine
12th September 2005, 12:33 AM
Pipe is measured I.D. and Tube is measured O.D.If you want 3/4" pipe it is 3/4" i.d. If you want 3/4" tube it is 3/4" O.D.

Simple