PDA

View Full Version : Turning Blanks Northern NSW

quercus
6th January 2017, 02:05 PM
I am on a driving holiday in northern NSW at present (evans head) and will be going to Byron briefly and maybe the gold coast airport to drop the family , while the dog and I drive back to melbourne. I am keen to pick up some interesting bowl blanks of preferably local timbers or unusual items along the way. Can anyone make suggestions? I rang a mob called Just timber slabs in Mullumbimby, but they no longer do bowl blanks. Hoping to get some reasonably thick (at least 100 to 200 mm thick bits. Thanks, and sorry if this information is easily accessible elsewhere here
Pat

Uncle Al
6th January 2017, 08:40 PM
Call in to Stan Ceglinski at Billinudgel which is close to Byron Bay The Billinudgel Wood Working Company (http://www.billinudgelwoodworks.com.au/)
He had some unusual timber at the Sydney Working with Wood show in June, plenty were 100mm thick, and all sorts of diameters.
Leave some for me, I will be calling in there on the way to Turnfest in March:D.

Hope this helps,
Alan...

dai sensei
6th January 2017, 09:50 PM
Call in on Greg Ward.

You are welcome to call in at my place in Nerang on the Gold Coast, plenty of timber, but also make a good cuppa :D I'll PM details

NeilS
7th January 2017, 05:05 PM
You are in camphor laurel country. It is a weed tree that you will find everywhere in the area. Great colour in the heart wood, but the aroma (thus the name) is an acquired taste; viz. the main ingredient on Vicks Vaporub.

Ask around.

Start with:

Richmond Valley Woodcrafters Club IncPO Box 213, Alstonville, NSW, 2477
Contact Person: Secretary
Tel: 02 6628 0741
Email:[email protected]

Camphor laurel began its devastating rampage just outside of Alstonville. It is also my hometown. I did my best to eradicate it, but as you will see I was most unsuccessful!

Terry Gordon ( HNT Gordon & Co :: Classic Plane Makers (http://www.hntgordon.com.au) ) also has his workshop in Alstonville. Camphor laurel is not a wood that he would use, but he may know where to source it in the area.

Also,

Tweed Valley Woodcraft Association Inc41 Charles Street, Murwillumbah, NSW, 2484
Contact Person: C. H. Lesleighter
Tel: N/A
Email:N/A

Happy hunting!

Stay sharp!

Neil