PDA

View Full Version : 8mm Mandrels

smidsy
4th September 2005, 09:54 PM
Hei Guys,
With the help of Mr Dremel I managed to get the pen bushes working but I am still not happy.

When I turn pens I like to start with a bush between the two halves for rough turning then remove the bush and have the two halves up against each other so get a perfect match.
This I can't do with the bushes, so I am looking for an 8mm mandrel.

Anyone know if they are available - I've checked Carrols and Gary Pye and they only have the stock ones.
Cheers
Paul

bdar
4th September 2005, 11:11 PM
Hey Paul,

There is a company in America call Berea Hardwoods they have a mandel A and a mandrel B. A is 1/4", mandrel B, I think is 0.921 bigger but I don't think it wiil be big enough. Always get a piece of 8mm stainless and thread one end as another option. Anyway Berea's site is http://www.bereahardwoods.com (http://www.bereahardwoods.com/) .
Hope it can help

Cheers

Darren

Paul,

Got it around the wrong way I should have typed mandrel B as 0.291 bigger :o

Cheers

Darren

dai sensei
4th September 2005, 11:24 PM
Try turning a sleeve from timber with an inside dia to fit the mandrel and an outside dia to fit your pen. Use very sharp tools and/or sandpaper for finishing.

I have made a number of bushes and sleeves from timber for final finishing as the polishing creams and waxes often react with the metal ones. You have to make new ones as they wear down, but it's better than the black reactant spoiling your work.

Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th September 2005, 11:45 PM
Try turning a sleeve from timber with an inside dia to fit the mandrel and an outside dia to fit your pen. Use very sharp tools and/or sandpaper for finishing.

Bloody good idea! If you can turn a pen you should be able to turn a bush.

Definitely worth a greenie! :)

gatiep
5th September 2005, 12:24 AM
Paul,
Slip a tube from the twist pens inside the pen 9 tubes........................Q.E.D!
Usually the solutions are very simple.

Its a pitty that you didn't give the supplier of those bushess a call first to see what they come up with.

:confused:

smidsy
9th September 2005, 11:11 AM
Hei Joe,
I wasn't bagging Carbatec, simply warning others to take their mandrel and check the fit before leaving the shop.
Yeah I could have called them, except that I can't get there during the week and needed to find a fix myself.

The fact is that these bushes are not rocket science - any 3 year old on a CNC lathe or 12 year old on a manual lathe should be able to make them.

Next time Carbatec is talking to their suppliers, why not do a costing on different size mandrels instead of the bushes. Aside from the issue here, to me the bushes are a pain - they're fiddly and easy to lose. I personally would be happy to pay for mandrels to suit each of 2 or 3 pens I will make.

Cheers
Paul

tonysa
10th September 2005, 01:01 AM
i second Skewies post