PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl

Fumbler
10th January 2017, 02:55 AM
Team, here is my first bowl, pressie for mother-in-law, keep in good books. Cherry lipped Zebrano finished with shellawax at 1800rpm. scraped inside for about 20min to remove all tool marks, and sanded for another 10 up to 600gr. I was a little nervous so didnt go too mad on thinning the walls. I had 1day to finish before sticking in mail to said outlaw
Critique please.

orraloon
10th January 2017, 10:14 AM
Pretty good for a first go and with a contrasting rim too. Should get some brownie points.
Regards
John

brendan stemp
10th January 2017, 10:53 AM
An excellent 'first bowl'

artful bodger
10th January 2017, 08:35 PM
What is the bit of timber on the rim? And why is it there?

Jack.Tar
11th January 2017, 07:23 AM
That's pretty good for a first bowl mate. My first bowl never became a bowl just a missile that put a dent in my beer fridge.

Christos
11th January 2017, 08:27 AM
Well done on your first bowl.

I am not sure on the lip of the bowl but love the grain patten on the bowl. How big is the bowl?

Willy Nelson
11th January 2017, 04:11 PM
For a first bowl, that is very good. I have seen quite experienced turners do not much better. I hope that comes across as a compliment.
My first bowl was absolutely crap compared to that, as was my 20th bowl.
Well done
Sincerely
Willy
jarrahland

smiife
11th January 2017, 06:56 PM
Hi fumbler,
Very nice for first attempt , well done !
The outlaws should be very happy with it
I would also like to know why the cherry rim?
That zebrano is a beautiful timber on it, s own

Fumbler
12th January 2017, 12:51 PM
What is the bit of timber on the rim? And why is it there?
It's cherry and I thought it would look good. It's not there for anything other than i got carried away with spare timber laying around.

Fumbler
12th January 2017, 12:56 PM
Thank you all for the great compliments, yes the Zebra wood does have a sensational looking pattern on its own and next time I will not add any extras. The diameter is about 90mm and 50mm high.

Wood Nut
20th January 2017, 10:05 PM
A pretty good first effort Fumbler. I wish my first attempt had been that good.
Cheers, Paul

Dalboy
21st January 2017, 02:54 AM
Well done on a great first bowl. I quite like the rim.

lovetoride
21st January 2017, 12:39 PM
Looks great. I'm sure your MIL will love it.

But isn't that like giving away your firstborn? I was so pleased when my first bowl turned out well that it wasn't going to anyone - pride of place on the kitchen display cabinet!

Jane