PDA

View Full Version : Osmo over dewaxed blonde shellac

hurcorh
11th January 2017, 11:44 AM
Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm going to be finishing a figured maple dining table top and would like to keep as close as I can to the original lighter color of the timber so I was thinking of using three or so coats of dewaxed blonde shellac and then follow this by a few coats of Osmo Top oil for a bit more protection from stains etc.

I'll do a test of just osmo top oil vs three coats dewaxed shellac followed by the osmo but was just checking if this combination might work? I've never worked with shellac so wasn't sure how resistant it is to other finishes being applied over the top.

Thanks

Enfield Guy
11th January 2017, 03:47 PM
No would be the short answer. Just use the OSMO would be my strong advice. All finishes alter the colour of the timber they are applied to, some more than others. Do some tests, settle on a result that you like and go with that. Mixing finishes like that is fraught with peril in my view.

Cheers

hurcorh
11th January 2017, 06:53 PM
I reckon the shellac made the figure 'pop' slightly better but was too golden in comparison to the Osmo. I think i'll just go with 3 coats of the Osmo. Should be hard wearing too.

Cheers.