PDA

View Full Version : Best finish for shave kit?

Fumbler
12th January 2017, 01:03 PM
Since finishing the bowl for the mother in law, next task is to tackle a coolabah burl shave brush and razor kit. Can anyone recommend or suggest the best finish to use on these as they need to be water proof. Thanks.

turnerted
12th January 2017, 03:37 PM
I'd probably use a couple of coats of a polyurathan varnish or maybe a superglue finished as used on pens ,
Ted

smiife
12th January 2017, 06:29 PM
Hi fumbler , wow ..........you are on a roll now !
Try some CA glue , gives a hard , shiny finish:cool:

QuarkVI
12th January 2017, 07:27 PM
I have two shave brushes that I have been using for 2-3 years now and the finish is as new - used polyurethane. First applied 3 thinned coats and then 3 coats after that. Did one in a satin and the other gloss and they held up very well.

Also did the coating before inserting the brush and the one brush is attached with epoxy and the other with silicone (should make it easier for someone in 50 years to remove and replace) - all in an attempt to make sure that there wasn't anywhere where water could get in under the finish.

Christos
12th January 2017, 10:02 PM
Personally I prefer a poly finish for something that will be used wet.

Fumbler
13th January 2017, 03:36 AM
CA seems like a good choice as i can apply on the lathe.
Has anyone used "Knights Clear acrylic"?
i have had great results using this stuff on my cedar fishing floats, non yellowing and also once fully cured actually stands up to the vigour of being immersed in salt water for hours on end. I originally chose that as was going over acrylic hand paint for the hi-vis orange day glow, and white paint for visibility at 30m from the boat. Each float was given 4 or 5 thin coats to get serious waterproof coating.