PDA

View Full Version : Best timbers for thread chaseing

Rod Gilbert
12th January 2017, 06:55 PM
Can anyone suggest which timbers are best for threading I want to give it a good go I have tried a couple of times so far the threaded section has been very brittle and not very well defined. I am still just getting the feel of the outside cutter to get the action right before I get to the inside.
Regards Rod.

clear out
12th January 2017, 08:58 PM
I have used English Ash I picked some up from Slazengers Auction. Tennis racket material.
Also Crows Ash.
There was a maker here in Sydney who made wind up piano stools, Can't remember what he used.
H.

powderpost
12th January 2017, 09:52 PM
Rod, If I read your thread correctly, you are hand chasing threads. Any timber that is of medium density with a tight grain will take a nice thread. Not aware of what is available in your area, but any of the stone fruit trees are good. I turned some plum tree, (the eating variety), recently and it was excellent. Any citrus tree is good. Then there is the gidgee species, all good. Osage orange, I believe it may grow in your area is good too. Ebony is excellent but a bit harder to get hold of.

Hope this is of some help.

Jim

Rod Gilbert
13th January 2017, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the replies,
Yes Jim hand chasing I was trying on some red gum very tight grain but to brittle to get a good thread very rough attempt. I have some gidgee and some crows ash so I will give them a go but I can only have a go at our club at the moment(so it will be next week) as my lathe doesn't have the low speed needed.
Regards Rod.

turnerted
13th January 2017, 02:06 PM
Camelia and cotonyaster are good .
Ted

Cliff Rogers
13th January 2017, 02:31 PM
Dead Finish.

chuck1
13th January 2017, 11:26 PM
I have had good results with rock maple, wilga and behlah you can use the thin CA to toughen up the Timber as well with softer wood

Rod Gilbert
14th January 2017, 03:29 PM
Thanks to all for replies now I have a good selection to get on with all I have to do now is get some to work.(practice,practice,practice.):D
Regards Rod.

smiife
14th January 2017, 06:07 PM
Hi rod , I have had some success with wenge and ebony
I made these recently while off work over xmas break
The ebony has been the best to work with i have found:cool: