PDA

View Full Version : Are these old railway sleepers??

purplesnake
13th January 2017, 09:25 AM
Hi all,
Long time reader, first time poster.
These had been sitting in my back yard for as long as we've owned the place, 5+ years
After some significant harassment from the missus i thought i'd better put them in the shed :wink:
Being that they had been outside on the ground in the elements i didn't have much hope for them
as we live in a very termite intensive area....
However, apart from the outside weathering they are next to perfect inside.
I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify the species.
They are heavy, very heavy, these 2 pieces are roughly 1400mm long and weigh about 35kg each.
Hard as a rock, took 4 passes with the drop saw to get through the 70mm thickness.
I thought they might be old railway sleepers but now i'm not so sure as RW sleepers are usually a lot thicker.
Its possible its a wood native to this area (Bundaberg, QLD)
I was going to make a simple bench seat out of them, but i think I'll make some super tough chopping boards if i can
find a way to cut them through their thickness.
Any idea on the species?
Cheers.

Fuzzie
13th January 2017, 09:35 AM
They look like Ironbark boards to me. Railway sleepers would be a much larger profile all around.

rwbuild
13th January 2017, 10:46 AM
I would say 99% sure it is iron bark

China
13th January 2017, 01:55 PM
as above no spike holes and too thin not sleepers

PJM16
13th January 2017, 05:53 PM
Certainly not railway sleepers as there are no spike holes and to thin, most likely structural beams. I'm not sure on the species, I haven't seen ironbark so dark red as that before.

jaksam
13th January 2017, 06:17 PM
Is it possible to see a planed face ?

purplesnake
13th January 2017, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the general concensus all....
I'll see if i can clean up a face shortly jaksam, will post pics.
Being that it is probably ironbark, would it make a good (albeit heavy) chopping
Board?

John.G
14th January 2017, 08:56 PM
Clarksons Bloodwood: and I am quite positive about that identification. It would be locally sourced.

I reckon it'd be hard alright. It makes the saws howl when it's green... It'll make lovely chopping boards.

Mobyturns
14th January 2017, 08:59 PM
They look like "half sleepers" used for landscaping.

Bushmiller
15th January 2017, 01:54 PM
"Real" railway sleepers are 8" x 5" and very heavy (60+ Kgs). I can't recall their length offhand, but I think it could be 7' 6". Just a bit short to use for a strainer post in farm fencing.

Regards
Paul