PDA

View Full Version : Jointer help

jimfish
14th January 2017, 06:34 PM
G'day guys , I'm having a little trouble running timber through the jointer. I'm running 2.7 m lengths of Tas Oak over the hare and Forbes 200 mm jointer and I'm having trouble pushing the timber as it seems to be sticking to the top. I have cleaned the top and applied silverglide but I'm still struggling to push it through. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Jim

derekcohen
14th January 2017, 06:53 PM
What happens when you push 300mm through it? Does it cut well?

How much depth are you cutting? Take a shallow 1mm cut and compare.

Are the blades sharp? Is the board fairly straight, or does it have a significant warp causing the board to catch?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Kuffy
14th January 2017, 07:09 PM
Without having all of the information, I'll make a bunch of assumptions. 6" wide boards, 1" thick, quartersawn material and 9' long as already stated. Surface planing the width.

At 9' long on your jointer, there is a decent amount of overhang which will cause a fair amount of friction at the end of the infeed table as the timber hangs down. If the end of the jointer tables are just a grinded 45° edge, that edge kinda dents and compresses the timber as it gets dragged along. Rounding the edge is better, but I guess it is harder/expensive to do at the factory. Then wax/silbergleit it.

The other thing to do is to support the overhang with something so it doesn't hang down so low. Don't support it at the level of the jointer because it mess up jointer table alignment. Just set the support 5mm below the jointer surface plane.

jimfish
14th January 2017, 07:39 PM
I'll try a short section tomorrow and see what happens, the depth gauge is on 1/16 th of an inch. The first couple of passes go through easily but as mor of the board is planed it gets harder to push through. I have a roller stand set up at each end to help support the board as it pushes through. I gave the blades a touch up on the diamond stone so they are pretty sharp. Kuffy assumptions are pretty right. Thanks for the response guys.