PDA

View Full Version : Genuine feedback please

mattm82
15th January 2017, 09:23 PM
Hi,

I have turned my first shaving brush and shave bowl. I have not turned either before so would like to hear your feedback on what could be improved.

I am not sensitive, if you see flaws please let me know. Looking to improve where ever I can. Thanks in advance.

Matt

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/683BD0CF-3BAC-4389-9081-BA6FB0A75D49_zpsyrxym84k.jpg

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/9701A556-453D-4228-9586-B146A959D32A_zpsk9bjkxco.jpg

Gabriel
15th January 2017, 10:36 PM
I haven't done any brushes or bowls to suit, but I would say yours look great. Nice simple designs, flowing curves and great looking finish.
What timber are they? And the finish on them?
P.s. I'm only a hack so hopefully some more constructive comments from more experienced turners pop up soon

mattm82
15th January 2017, 10:59 PM
I haven't done any brushes or bowls to suit, but I would say yours look great. Nice simple designs, flowing curves and great looking finish.
What timber are they? And the finish on them?
P.s. I'm only a hack so hopefully some more constructive comments from more experienced turners pop up soon

Thanks for your comments Gabriel. It's ringed gidgee. The finish is just sanded to 12,000g and then rubbed with eee cream. I'm yet to put a finish on them.

Cheers

Nubsnstubs
16th January 2017, 01:39 AM
Matt, my first thoughts was the finish needed to seal the grain much better than shown. Now, knowing they don't have an applied finish, it makes sense why the wood looks like it does. Otherwise, both look great, and the wood is outstanding.

What is that that looks like a piece of lint on the bowl? Is it a filled crack? ........Jerry (in Tucson)

Paul39
16th January 2017, 05:22 AM
Very nice!! I like tung oil for anything that will be wet. Start with diluted 50 - 50 with mineral spirits / paint thinner, letting that soak in, then full strength, rubbing in then let dry overnight. Add coats until you get the sheen you want.

Christos
16th January 2017, 08:24 AM
The design looks ok.

I think it would be better to apply a finish before adding the brush. Make or purchase a stand for the brush so that the water drips out of the brush.

mattm82
16th January 2017, 08:29 AM
Matt, my first thoughts was the finish needed to seal the grain much better than shown. Now, knowing they don't have an applied finish, it makes sense why the wood looks like it does. Otherwise, both look great, and the wood is outstanding.

What is that that looks like a piece of lint on the bowl? Is it a filled crack? ........Jerry (in Tucson)

Thanks very much Jerry. Yep, it's a filled crack. Just that colour from the wood dust.

mattm82
16th January 2017, 08:31 AM
The design looks ok.

I think it would be better to apply a finish before adding the brush. Make or purchase a stand for the brush so that the water drips out of the brush.

Thanks for your feedback Christos. I'm yet to glue the brush in so will remove to apply a finish to the handle. A stand is in the works. I'll post up a pic of the completed set once it's done.

Cheers

Dalboy
16th January 2017, 08:51 AM
I like the shape of the brush and bowl. My only concern is that I see you have used EEE cream, will the final finish be compatible with this and is it water proof and not just water resistant. I agree about the stand and look forward to the one you are working on.

mattm82
16th January 2017, 09:37 AM
I like the shape of the brush and bowl. My only concern is that I see you have used EEE cream, will the final finish be compatible with this and is it water proof and not just water resistant. I agree about the stand and look forward to the one you are working on.

I hadn't thought about it being compatible, that is a good point. I'll have to look in to it. Thanks for your input, you may have saved me a significant headache!

Lyle
16th January 2017, 12:12 PM
Aesthetically very pleasing form.
However functionally, will the inside curve allow a lather to be produced with the brush?
Will the finish stand up to the soap/cream used in shaving, and then cleaning/rinsing.

I like it a lot.
Well done.
Lyle.

Mobyturns
16th January 2017, 12:35 PM
Being made from Gidgee you could probably just use an oil finish as it will stand up to the water quite well.

woodPixel
16th January 2017, 12:54 PM
TruOil perhaps?

I like the shape and size of the bowl. Its elegant.

mattm82
16th January 2017, 01:19 PM
Aesthetically very pleasing form.
However functionally, will the inside curve allow a lather to be produced with the brush?
Will the finish stand up to the soap/cream used in shaving, and then cleaning/rinsing.

I like it a lot.
Well done.
Lyle.

Thanks Lyle,

I honestly don't know about function just yet. I just went in an assumption of what would work, roughly based on what I had seen of shaving bowl (dangerous I know!)

The walls, while curving are fairly steep and there is room for the brush to move about in the base, so I'm hoping it functions well. I'll find out soon enough.

mattm82
16th January 2017, 01:20 PM
Being made from Gidgee you could probably just use an oil finish as it will stand up to the water quite well.

I had psyched myself up to try a CA finish but turns out that Canberra doesn't seem to have it anywhere and I need it today.

I got a wipe on poly to try. I do have tru-oil but interested to try the poly how.

I'll just have to make some more bowls and brushes and try all the options.

woodPixel
16th January 2017, 01:29 PM
Dude! Get it from Monaro Toys and Hobbies on Kembla Street Fyshwick, opposite all those ugly car yards on the main drag.

They stock the BSI CA in thin, med and thick, plus the Hafele activator.

All at excellent prices.I use it for my pens.

mattm82
16th January 2017, 01:51 PM
Dude! Get it from Monaro Toys and Hobbies on Kembla Street Fyshwick, opposite all those ugly car yards on the main drag.

They stock the BSI CA in thin, med and thick, plus the Hafele activator.

All at excellent prices.I use it for my pens.

Dammit!! I was even in Fyshwick and it completely slipped my mind [emoji35]
I'll try CA on the next one.

Mobyturns
16th January 2017, 04:04 PM
I had psyched myself up to try a CA finish but turns out that Canberra doesn't seem to have it anywhere and I need it today.

I got a wipe on poly to try. I do have tru-oil but interested to try the poly how.

I'll just have to make some more bowls and brushes and try all the options.

WOP probably wont go over the EEE so well.

I've used Minwax WOP ( Satin & Gloss) and it does not like naturally oily timbers as it takes a long time to cure (if at all on some), so is perhaps not a good choice. The harder inland timbers do take an oil finish well. Film finishes like CA, epoxy, WOP will eventually get moisture under them and will lift / peel whereas oil finishes won't because the oil is in the pores of the timber. Oil finishes will lose their appeal but are easier to repair / refurbish.

mattm82
16th January 2017, 04:12 PM
WOP probably wont go over the EEE so well.

I've used Minwax WOP ( Satin & Gloss) and it does not like naturally oily timbers as it takes a long time to cure (if at all on some), so is perhaps not a good choice. The harder inland timbers do take an oil finish well. Film finishes like CA, epoxy, WOP will eventually get moisture under them and will lift / peel whereas oil finishes won't because the oil is in the pores of the timber. Oil finishes will lose their appeal but are easier to repair / refurbish.

Hmmm now I'm conflicted. I use wax finishes for the same reason, easy to refurbish and can take abuse better than hard finishes.

I definitely can't go wrong with oil, and the recipient can always drop it around for a touch up... I'll have to have a think now!

ian
16th January 2017, 05:32 PM
Hi,

I have turned my first shaving brush and shave bowl. I have not turned either before so would like to hear your feedback on what could be improved.

I am not sensitive, if you see flaws please let me know. Looking to improve where ever I can. Thanks in advance.

Matt

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/683BD0CF-3BAC-4389-9081-BA6FB0A75D49_zpsyrxym84k.jpg

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/9701A556-453D-4228-9586-B146A959D32A_zpsk9bjkxco.jpgHi Matt

have you used the brush and bowl?
how do they feel in the hand, where does the shape need tweaking to provide in a better fit?

mattm82
16th January 2017, 11:47 PM
Hi Ian, yet to finish them so haven't tried them properly but they both feel good. Te brush I will probably make a little narrower next time, just because it suits me a little better, but the brush fits the bowl well, room to lather up but not too big. I'll be able to get some good feedback from8 the user too so time will tell.

mattm82
19th January 2017, 06:46 PM
Got the set finished today and collected about an hour after it was done!

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/C8124D80-97BA-4F31-BEA3-1C3C16BA1EA0_zpsfwcwejg6.jpg

I re-handled the razor, I didn't have time to try to make the head myself.

I originally tried to do a box joint, but don't have the tools and the hacksaw didn't really do the job. Might be time to invest in a nice saw.

Razor handle is turned titanium with the gidgee outer. I'm liking it a lot.

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/3D078A77-E36B-4BA2-BAFF-71293D9448BC_zpsy19xvzxu.jpg

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/A59F5FE6-A388-420A-BA5E-54F12BE3CD7C_zpsidbrwfwe.jpg