PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc VL175 For Sale

Hors
18th January 2017, 05:38 PM
Anyone got any info about this lathe (third party info from others is always good):

Wood Lathe Vicmark 175 | Miscellaneous Goods | Gumtree Australia Gold Coast North - Ormeau | 1136239080 (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ormeau/miscellaneous-goods/wood-lathe-vicmark-175/1136239080)

Seems to be a little expensive, thoughts please.

Admin please remove is type of post is not allowed.

bueller
18th January 2017, 06:02 PM
Price is maybe a little bit on the high side but not absurd. Vicmarc machines tend to hold there value pretty well if they've been looked after.

Willy Nelson
18th January 2017, 06:08 PM
I reckon that it not too bad
A. It is a Vicmarc, looks in good condition, there should be some more stuff with it, eg Knock out bar, spanner, maybe a chuck or two
B. It has variable speed, which is BRILLIANT!!!!!!
C. We (wood turning club) just sold a couple of Vicmarcs, without EVS for about $1300, Gumtree had some here in Perth for $2200.
D. Vicmarcs are made in QLD, so parts and accessories will be very easy to source, maybe worth dropping in and doing a comparison between new and old.

Cannot go past a Vicmarc
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland
Proud owner of a VL300

bueller
18th January 2017, 06:09 PM
I totally missed the variable speed, not a bad deal at all really.

Hors
18th January 2017, 06:36 PM
I reckon that it not too bad
A. It is a Vicmarc, looks in good condition, there should be some more stuff with it, eg Knock out bar, spanner, maybe a chuck or two
B. It has variable speed, which is BRILLIANT!!!!!!
C. We (wood turning club) just sold a couple of Vicmarcs, without EVS for about $1300, Gumtree had some here in Perth for $2200.
D. Vicmarcs are made in QLD, so parts and accessories will be very easy to source, maybe worth dropping in and doing a comparison between new and old.

Cannot go past a Vicmarc
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland
Proud owner of a VL300

Thanks Willy, have been following your thread about new acquisition with interest.
Has no centres/knock out bars etc me thinks, not to sure but I think it came from a Gold Coast Club which I think has folded.
There is no comparison, as VL175 not made anymore, have been looking at VL200 SM EVS from them, and looking at 4K ish
Before I get to carried away I will talk to Marco, and confirm parts are still available.

bueller
18th January 2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks Willy, have been following your thread about new acquisition with interest.
Has no centres/knock out bars etc me thinks, not to sure but I think it came from a Gold Coast Club which I think has folded.
There is no comparison, as VL175 not made anymore, have been looking at VL200 SM EVS from them, and looking at 4K ish
Before I get to carried away I will talk to Marco, and confirm parts are still available.
Would be surprised if they can't supply parts. I needed some tool rests for an '89 VL200 that are different to the current sizes available, Marco ordered in the steel required and had them fabbed up for me at the same price as the normal ones. Top bloke and fantastic company.

Jim Carroll
18th January 2017, 09:32 PM
Good buy at a good price, get it quick and you may find that there may be other extras that will come with the lathe. May even be some haggling room.

pommyphil
19th January 2017, 06:39 AM
Yes, I have that model and year and think that's a very good price.

It probably has no reverse and the small motor. so no good for coreing/bowl savers.

It doesn't have the outboard turning tool rest either which I use a lot on big bowls and platters.

But a lovely lathe at a great price. Phil

Mobyturns
19th January 2017, 08:42 AM
It may pay to have an extra good look at that unit! Certainly ask to see it run etc. Good very reliable lathes that will take a lot of hard work and as others say a competitive price.

Note in image 4 that it has a sticker referring to the "gambling community fund." That means that the lathe was sourced on a grant so has come from a QLD not for profit association as they are usually the only organizations who can qualify / apply for grants. Its a condition of the grant to show that the item was funded from grant monies. It may well have had a very hard life.

As you have the year of manufacture and serial number, contact Vicmarc direct - they may be able to say who purchased it. Will be interesting to see where it came from as I can't see to many wood turning clubs selling a VL175.

Hors
19th January 2017, 10:14 AM
It may pay to have an extra good look at that unit! Certainly ask to see it run etc. Good very reliable lathes that will take a lot of hard work and as others say a competitive price.

Note in image 4 that it has a sticker referring to the "gambling community fund." That means that the lathe was sourced on a grant so has come from a QLD not for profit association as they are usually the only organizations who can qualify / apply for grants. Its a condition of the grant to show that the item was funded from grant monies. It may well have had a very hard life.

As you have the year of manufacture and serial number, contact Vicmarc direct - they may be able to say who purchased it. Will be interesting to see where it came from as I can't see to many wood turning clubs selling a VL175.

Pretty sure it came from a club on Gold Coast that folded, ads mentions it was a club lathe.

Will check it out, when I can get there.

Thanks for comments

Ilya
19th January 2017, 11:56 AM
I have exactly same year vl175 (paid noticeably more a couple of years ago) - this seems as a pretty reasonable price if everything works fine and bearings are good. As a club lathe it has probably done a lot of work though (but not as much as in a professional environment).

Willy Nelson
19th January 2017, 12:08 PM
Hard Life.
In my experience, the club lathes do NOT get a hard life.
Generally, people are learning to turn and don't stress the machine to the limits with huge uneven bowl blanks. I would say that it may have a high usage, or high hours, but I reckon they have only turned smaller items. They sometimes get abused by people learning, but I think club lathes have had a pretty easy life.
In motoring terms, these lathes may have crossed the nullabor quite a few times, but they did it on the freeway at generally low speeds. Versus crossing the nullabor, towing a trailer via the sandhills.

My lathe at home would get more hours per week and turning very large items, my last last, a Durden Top Turn had a 20 year life, and nothing wrong with him, except he was lacking in modern refinements, eg variable speed.
In summary, in my opinion, long life, but in a sheltered workshop, so to speak:U
Cheers
Willy

dai sensei
20th January 2017, 12:06 AM
Pretty sure it came from a club on Gold Coast that folded, ads mentions it was a club lathe.

Will check it out, when I can get there.

Thanks for comments

Yes it was the Gold Coast Woodturners club lathe. The club is still going, but got another grant for new lathes, so offloading older ones as room limited. It was tendered by club to members but they got no bids above secret reserve (they are a stingy mob). That is about all I know about it. The contact Shane will tell you more and you'd be welcome to look at it

Mobyturns
20th January 2017, 06:16 AM
Hard Life.
In my experience, the club lathes do NOT get a hard life.
Generally, people are learning to turn and don't stress the machine to the limits with huge uneven bowl blanks. I would say that it may have a high usage, or high hours, but I reckon they have only turned smaller items. They sometimes get abused by people learning, but I think club lathes have had a pretty easy life.
In motoring terms, these lathes may have crossed the nullabor quite a few times, but they did it on the freeway at generally low speeds. Versus crossing the nullabor, towing a trailer via the sandhills.

My lathe at home would get more hours per week and turning very large items, my last last, a Durden Top Turn had a 20 year life, and nothing wrong with him, except he was lacking in modern refinements, eg variable speed.
In summary, in my opinion, long life, but in a sheltered workshop, so to speak:U
Cheers
Willy

Yes it could just as easily had an easy life. Depends on the club and how the workshop is supervised.

brendan stemp
22nd January 2017, 09:49 AM
I would buy it. The VL175 is the best lathe VicmarC made. Mine is a little newer but still going beautifully.

Hors
22nd January 2017, 08:01 PM
Thanks all for the advise, much appreciated. BUT it would seem whilst I was pondering this lathe the better half was hatching a plan. It would appear I am getting a new Vicmarc for birthday.

I heard talk of a VL200 SM EVS (don't worry I will end up paying for it)

smiife
23rd January 2017, 07:16 PM
Thanks all for the advise, much appreciated. BUT it would seem whilst I was pondering this lathe the better half was hatching a plan. It would appear I am getting a new Vicmarc for birthday.

Ooooohhhh,,,, who, s a lucky boy then ! :;

Paul39
25th January 2017, 06:33 AM

Oh my!! Late Christmas, birthday, and Father's Day, rolled into one.

Hors
25th January 2017, 07:36 AM
Oh my!! Late Christmas, birthday, and Father's Day, rolled into one. Trust me, that is the truth, me thinks I WILL PAY. But all good