PDA

View Full Version : lancewood vase

hughie
19th January 2017, 04:01 AM
A small Lancewood vase 13cm x 10cm spirals carved through the sap wood. Small so it wont be hassle flying to Turnfest :)

smiife
19th January 2017, 07:35 PM
Hi hughie,
Very nice , well thought thru with the carving to
get that design , do you show or sell your work
at turnfest ?

powderpost
19th January 2017, 09:30 PM
Hughie, that is nice. Even though it is a bit smallish, but that would have been one hell of a job hollowing that out. Will look forward to seeing it "in the flesh". Nice.

Jim

hughie
20th January 2017, 04:05 AM
Hi hughie,
Very nice , well thought thru with the carving to
get that design , do you show or sell your work
at turnfest ?
As far as I know Turnfest is a bit of a show and tell.I sell mine through galleries.

hughie
20th January 2017, 04:07 AM
Hughie, that is nice. Even though it is a bit smallish, but that would have been one hell of a job hollowing that out. Will look forward to seeing it "in the flesh". Nice.

Jim

Actually hollowing was not too bad as its not too high and the opening is around 40mm. Small, yeah, but the Lancewood blank was not so large.

Bluegum
20th January 2017, 03:38 PM
Great wirk Hughie. Looks real nice.:2tsup:

turnerted
20th January 2017, 03:51 PM
A great piece . Look forward to seeing you and the vase at Turnfest .
Ted

Phily
26th January 2017, 09:27 PM
Nice work as usual Hughie (-: I was a little curious as I'd not come across Lancewood before and thought it looked a bit like a limb of Blackwood. A bit of research and surprise, Lancewood is an Acacia - same as Blackwood. I assume however from the dry environment it grows in it's a harder timber than Blackwood?

hughie
26th January 2017, 11:14 PM
Nice work as usual Hughie (-: I was a little curious as I'd not come across Lancewood before and thought it looked a bit like a limb of Blackwood. A bit of research and surprise, Lancewood is an Acacia - same as Blackwood. I assume however from the dry environment it grows in it's a harder timber than Blackwood?

Yup its as hard as Deadfinish and alot of the other desert timbers. But it does finish extremely well and that I like :)

dai sensei
27th January 2017, 10:50 AM
I was a little curious as I'd not come across Lancewood before and thought it looked a bit like a limb of Blackwood. A bit of research and surprise, Lancewood is an Acacia - same as Blackwood. I assume however from the dry environment it grows in it's a harder timber than Blackwood?

Yup its as hard as Deadfinish and alot of the other desert timbers. But it does finish extremely well and that I like :)

Do you know what species it is Hughie? Just there are a number of different types, Red Lancewood (Archidendropsis basaltica, the Eastern Dead Finish), Brown Lancewood (or Shirley's Lancewood, Acacia shirleyi), but there are also other Acacias referred to as "Lancewood".

hughie
27th January 2017, 10:54 AM
Do you know what species it is Hughie? Just there are a number of different types, Red Lancewood (Archidendropsis basaltica, the Eastern Dead Finish), Brown Lancewood (or Shirley's Lancewood, Acacia shirleyi), but there are also other Acacias referred to as "Lancewood".

Shirley's Lancewood, Acacia shirleyi)

Big A
27th January 2017, 12:52 PM
Grows well around the Central Highlands in Qld, but mostly in the harder country. Splits like a barsteward, and if you want a 10ft rail, you need to cut over 12ft, trim and wire up quickly! Stinks to burn so not good for boiling the billy.

Vern probably describes it better than me: Lancewood (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/lancewood.htm)

Cheers,
Alister.