PDA

View Full Version : Hinge hole filler

Garrydan
22nd January 2017, 05:54 PM
Hi guys
Need to fill some 35mm dia hinge holes, then bore new holes sitting about halfway over old ones.
Looking for a filler that won't crumble when new holes are bored. Suggestions please. Builders Bog maybe?

Lappa
22nd January 2017, 06:09 PM
Are we talking about a recessed round cupboard door hinge?. If so, I'd be filling it with a round plug of the same material.

Handyjack
22nd January 2017, 06:36 PM
I am not sure on how successful this would be, but I would try plugging it. Use a hole saw, probably about 38mm diam to cut the plug. Glue in, then after the glue sets plane flat unless you have used a material the same depth as the holes.

Good luck and please give us some feed back on how you go.

chambezio
22nd January 2017, 06:36 PM
We would use Plasti-Bond in such cases or even "car bog". On solid timber doors that needed holes moved, we would fill with bog, then after its cured make a shallow rebate down the length of the door. Next glue in a suitable piece of timber then drill new holes. Its amasing what results you can get after the feeling of pannick sets in when you have found a mistake

justonething
22nd January 2017, 08:07 PM
35 mm diameter hinge holes? may be it is 3.5 mm. Anyway I would drill out to the next dowel size, plug it with a dowel and a bit of PVA and then re-drill wherever you need to.

Garrydan
22nd January 2017, 09:34 PM
No 35mm, not 3.5mm, for regular kitchen cabinet hinges. gonna need a lot more than a dowel I think.

justonething
22nd January 2017, 10:59 PM
No 35mm, not 3.5mm, for regular kitchen cabinet hinges. gonna need a lot more than a dowel I think.

Then I agree with Peter,
I'd be filling it with a round plug of the same material.
You can cut out a plug with a 35mm hole saw but it's going to be a little loose. So you need a gap filling glue like epoxy. Don't fill it with builder's bog as it has no mechanical strength.