PDA

View Full Version : Misaligned pulley on spindle -

Whistlingcoyote
24th January 2017, 11:54 AM
Hey all,
This is my first post on the woodturning pages, so Hello!

After nearly 15 years since I last turned anything I have just inherited a Teknatool TL10008s lathe. I'm pretty excited about it but there are couple of things that need to be sorted out with it.
It is supposed to be an eight speed machine, but while setting it up on the custom bench I have made for it, I noticed that the drive belt can't go onto the smallest pulley.

The pulley arrangement...

Here you can see the problem of the smallest pulley disappearing inside where the bearing sits - meaning the belt cannot get on it.

Spindle on the outboard side of the headstock

Inboard

Can anyone advise on the best way to move it along so all speeds are available.
Can the pulley simply slide along a bit? Or will the spindle need to be removed first? And will that involve taking out the bearings too?
I suppose I could just leave it as a 7 speed but it's not a seven speed lathe...and besides it would be a wasted opportunity to tinker

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Simon

Ps - not sure why the pictures are all sideways but you can still see the relevant details...

Oldgreybeard
24th January 2017, 12:10 PM
I have a Teknatool 3000 and had the same problem. Solution is simple.

There are 2 grub screws holding the pully assembly in place on the spindle. Loosen these srews and slide the pulley away from the bearing and retighten the grub screws.
You may have to do the same thing with the pulleys on the motor shaft to ensure that the pulleys line up correctly.

All in all a 5 minute job which I have to repeat every few months as the grub screws seem to loosen in use.

Bob

Lyle
24th January 2017, 12:13 PM
Have you tried just undoing the allen key on the pulley visible in the photos and sliding it along a bit??
Check there are not two in there.
Lyle.

groverwa
24th January 2017, 12:15 PM
Get yourself a straight edge that is long enough to go from the pulley to the motor and align both pulleys so that the straight edge lies flat against both surfaces of the corresponding pulleys. You will need the allen key to loosen the offending pulley to adjust the position.

If you have a look at the Vicmarc site there is a very good video on the maintenance ad posioning of the bearings and pulley setup.

Hope this helps.

Mike

chuck1
24th January 2017, 01:06 PM
And maybe some locktite on grub screws when reassembling
It appears the pulley has moved. SOmeone on here had dIgital copy of manual

Treecycle
24th January 2017, 03:03 PM
Is this the one (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/teknatool-manuals-210897) you refer to chuck1?

Whistlingcoyote
24th January 2017, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the responses people -

trouble is there is only one grub screw hole and there is no grub screw in it!

I haven't mounted the motor to the bench yet. Wanted to sort this problem first...

BobL
24th January 2017, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the responses people -

trouble is there is only one grub screw hole and there is no grub screw in it!

That explains why its moved/

go to the store and buy some, even the big green store sells them.
Test the thread with a known long bolt, it will probably be an M8 or maybe M6 size.

Whistlingcoyote
24th January 2017, 05:56 PM
It explains why it's moved but not why it won't move back!

BobL
24th January 2017, 07:19 PM
It explains why it's moved but not why it won't move back!

Grub screw comes loose but does not fall off, pulley goes round and grab screw wears enough of a groove in the shaft to prevent pulley moving back into place.
Can you move it even a little? If so I would slowly and patiently work it back and forth with lubricant to see if you can get it to move.
Does the pulley turn independent of the shaft/spindle ?
If not that suggests its jammed onto the shaft - may need some judicious application of heat.

Whistlingcoyote
24th January 2017, 07:37 PM
I will have another look at the situation later this evening. Looking into the screw hole earlier it looked smooth and unmarked, but I will have a twist, a poke, and a gentle knock about with it to see if anything happens.

Thanks again