PDA

View Full Version : battery options

burraboy
26th January 2017, 11:22 AM
I don't understand electric stuff and never have. Here is a question that will illustrate my ignorance.
I've got a disabled person type lifter that has a 24 volt motor (at least I can read the label for that info) and is run by two tiny 12v batteries. I use it for lifting beehives on and off my ute and am a bit worried about it running out of go, out in the bush somewhere. So the question, can I use two car type 12v batteries to power it? Without buggering it? :?

Bohdan
26th January 2017, 11:37 AM
Yes and you will find that the motor runs much better with less risk of damage due to overload with the more substantial power supply.

NathanaelBC
26th January 2017, 12:00 PM
Sure can, 12 volts is 12 volts whether it's a tiny 4.5Ah or a big 120Ah battery just remember to connect the two 12V batteries in serial to make 24V and charge them regularly - I just killed a $70 SLA that was rarely used but enough to drain enough to be unchargeable.

Ubernoob
26th January 2017, 12:52 PM
Is it permanently attached to the vehicle? If so I'd be tempted to get a DC-DC converter and just use the vehicle battery........as long as it is of sufficient capacity and in good condition. Mounting two car batteries can be tricky to safely as they are heavy, you can also have corrosion issues from spillage or gassing if overcharged for some reason.

If you can find a lable with the current draw on it that would be helpful.

Something like this(probably larger) may do it-
12V to 24V, Step-up, 15A, 360W : Current Logic, Expert of DC-DC Converter (http://www.current-logic.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=12)

DavidG
26th January 2017, 01:23 PM
I carry a mobility scooter in the back of my suv. To keep it charged I have a little 600w 12v dc to 240v ac inverter and use the mobility scooters normal charger. It also enables the use of other low power 240v appliances or chargers.

burraboy
26th January 2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks folks. Two car batteries is simple/is good!
What is a $70 SLA? I don't think I want one!

NathanaelBC
26th January 2017, 04:10 PM
https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-18ah-sla-battery/p/SB2490

Ubernoob
26th January 2017, 09:17 PM
Thanks folks. Two car batteries is simple/is good!
What is a $70 SLA? I don't think I want one!

It's only simple if you need it, if the lift doesn't use much power it is a waste of money and effort.

Why not charge your system and do loaded lifts until it starts to slow? If you want more cycles go to bigger batteries and you can work out rougly how many extra cycles you will get when you look at new batteries. I would also suggest SLAs(sealed lead acid batteries) over car batteries, they can be trouble if you charge them off an alternator though.