PDA

View Full Version : Australia Day 2017 Show us your Pens!!

sturina
26th January 2017, 03:09 PM
Please post your pen Swap pens in this thread for us all to see :2tsup:

Grommett
9th February 2017, 11:01 PM
Posted mine off yesterday. One to Qld and one to NZ. Let's see how good our postal service is.

BamBam53
14th February 2017, 06:50 PM
Australia Post has done well. Michael's pen arrived today. My pen will be on it's way tomorrow. Let's see what New Zealand Post are like.

I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Michael

sturina
14th February 2017, 08:01 PM
Good to see some pens are moving. Can't wait to see the pics :D

BamBam53
16th February 2017, 07:34 PM
This is the pen I received from Grommett. It is a PSI Vertex kit in Queensland Red Bean. Thanks Michael for the fantastic pen and blanks. Your pen is on its way.

406456 406457

And a big thank you to Sturina for organising this years pen swap.

Michael

Grommett
24th February 2017, 12:18 PM
My Swap from Bambam aka Michael arrived today. A great selection of NZ blanks and a fine Lucinda in Kauri.
Thanks for a second great Swap. What chance we get paired again next year?

BamBam53
24th February 2017, 07:03 PM
This is the third year I have taken part in the pen swap and the third time I have been paired with a Michael. Go figure.

Michael

mkypenturner
4th March 2017, 04:56 PM
got my swap pen from stuart aka sturina
its a panama pen with a bunch of different timbers in it
the list is hairy oak , sycamore,bonewod, beefwood, brigalow , sassafras and huon pine
I al got a few nice blanks as well spalted mango , texas pecan and W A she oak
thank stuart

Gabriel
8th March 2017, 09:32 PM
A huge thanks to Robert (MrPukaShell) for his swap. Had a very busy/annoying day at work, and when I finally made it home a little parcel was waiting patiently on the table with my name on it.

He has certainly astounded me both with his generosity (a whole host of usa timbers that I usually only see American turners having fun with), his professionalism of finish of the beautiful pen he turned me, and to top it all off - a Majestic kit and bushings for me to have a go at!!!

The pen is a segmented Kamiani wood out of hawaii with a maple 'wave' in it. The kit is a Satin navigator. Once again I am thrilled as we don't have access (or at least not that I have found) in Australia to a satin finish pen of this style...I really like it!

The blank in the photo marked 'do not open' is a little test for me. I believe its a partner of the pen he turned me. His instructions are to figure out how he got the 'wave' effect in the timber before opening the blank to see if my thoughts are correct. This is a ripper idea and rest assured (I haven't done any segmenting yet so I'm racking my brain at the moment) the blank will remain sealed until I have a moment of clarity!!
Thanks again Robert

A huge thankyou to Stuart for organizing another year of the swap. I really do love it and look forward to it every year!!

Cheers
Gab

MrPukaShell
8th March 2017, 11:06 PM
Gab,

So happy that you liked the items I sent you. I always enjoy these swaps and this one did not disappoint me. Don't overthink the "Wave" and it will come to you.

Have a great day,

Robert

sturina
9th March 2017, 10:48 AM
Glad everybody is enjoying the pen swap this year. I received my package from mkypenturner, and was excited to see a bullet pen (a kit I haven't tried yet). It is a beautiful fit and flawless finish, great work. The package also contained some great blanks to add to my collection. Already looking forward to next year.

David Mitchell
13th March 2017, 08:48 AM
Mitchell thanks for the pen and blanks you sent ,show the package at our woodies group and all were very impressed
Regards
David

David Mitchell
13th March 2017, 08:55 AM
Mitchell thanks for the pen and blanks you sent ,show the package at our woodies group and all were very impressed
Regards
David:2tsup:

PS could not find the attachment part to attach a picture in my last post ,here we go here:wink:

Grommett
13th March 2017, 06:29 PM
Received my Swap from Mickyv, aka Michael. A fine cigar in acrylic, a medium that defies me, and a bunch of blanks. There is one, Turkish Walnut, that is new to me and looks great.
Thanks to sturina for organizing this year's pen swap. I look forward to the next one. It's a wonderful opportunity to meet other tragics.

cvsut
24th March 2017, 07:21 PM
As this is my first swap, I was unsure what to expect. I was truly impressed by the craftsmanship that went into the making of the pens on display. I am really looking forward for the next swap.

cvsut
24th March 2017, 07:26 PM
Received my pen swap from Michael. Thank you for the great pen and extra blanks.

Cheers,

Craig

cvsut
24th March 2017, 07:32 PM
Received this pen and bonus blanks from Gab. Thank you for a couple of interesting blanks to try.

Cheers,

Craig

Mobyturns
1st April 2017, 09:39 AM
My swap partner David Mitchell sent me this wonderful Celtic Pen in Olive and some very nice pen blanks from timbers that I don't get to see locally.

The other swap will not be completed for a little while due to an unfortunate series of events for John Evans but we will catch up when he is able to do so. I sincerely hope life gets less complicated for John.

David Mitchell
2nd April 2017, 10:32 AM
Received my pen swap from Mobyturns ,Celtic knot Sierra pen ,with Celtic Knot part ,purple Gidgee , Qld Maple -compression wood
and lots of pen blanks thanks for a magnificent package :o:-

I will have to return with something else :-
Keep an watch on your letter box:wink:

Maybe make up Sierra pen parts and post a picture:cool:
Regards

Mobyturns
12th April 2017, 09:24 AM
I will have to return with something else :- ??? - please don't feel obliged to return the surprise.

David, my pleasure to share our wonderful Australian woods. I'm so thankful that we have such a range of woods to work with.

David Mitchell
12th April 2017, 11:50 AM
The surprise is on the way:wink:

Attached is the pen I made from the celtic part you sent:cool:
Regards

Mobyturns
14th April 2017, 07:02 AM
The surprise is on the way:wink:

Attached is the pen I made from the celtic part you sent:cool:
Regards

Looks great, I hope you enjoyed turning the blank.

Mobyturns
19th April 2017, 11:28 PM
Wow David's little surprise arrived in the mail today - thank you for your very nice pen set - simply gorgeous.

Mobyturns
31st July 2017, 08:21 AM
Well a very nice little package turned up Friday from Aussie Pens. Thank you.

I hope to get photos up soon, but unfortunately our lives took a huge hit Saturday morning so very busy atm.

sturina
15th October 2017, 09:18 PM
Sorry I've been MIA for a while. Did everybody get their pens?