PDA

View Full Version : finally some photos pepper grinders and oyster knives

chuck1
26th January 2017, 05:02 PM
Really hope this has worked. I have been busy turning

artful bodger
26th January 2017, 08:37 PM
Nice to finally see the pics Chuck1.
They look like they are well made which is to be expected from a turner of your experience.
I have to say though that they do not really look like a departure from the production stuff, sorry.
I do not mean to be rude. I know you could leave me for dead in a production turn off.
Guess I was hoping to see something a bit more original, the likes of which have not been seen before. Some sort of turning idea or design you have made up yourself if you know what I mean.

chuck1
26th January 2017, 09:23 PM
No offence taken, I think I know what you mean. I did play with some other shapes but the design has a similar same old same old shapes.
I need some inspiration on design. These do sit well in the hand. .

artful bodger
26th January 2017, 10:18 PM
Salt and pepper shakers and the like are really only "other production items". Like balustrades, newels etc.
Be nice to see ya use those skills you have to make something new and exciting. I dunno, maybe something that disregards the normal bead,cove sort of thing and ventures into new territory.
It might be a fantastic new design for a lamp base, or an original new turning to poke someone in the eye with, a truncheon, etc etc. Something new and original.
Something that you make up yourself design-wise that may or may not even be a functional item but somehow has that WOW factor. Remember, as soon as it is not functional it becomes ART and that opens up many new and exciting avenues.

Christos
27th January 2017, 07:45 AM
I like the design that you have come up with on the pepper grinders.

.....I did play with some other shapes but the design has a similar same old same old shapes.......

I don't think there is anything wrong with the same old same old shape. What were the other shapes that you were playing with?

pommyphil
27th January 2017, 10:16 AM
Yes Chuck more "Art" .......Maybe a pointy base so they don't stand up.

artful bodger
27th January 2017, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry Chuck1. My second post was out of line.
Too many beers on Australia day might have turned me into a blabbering idiot. Also know that my production turning is about to start for the year and I am kind of dreading it. When your hobby becomes your job the fun seems to disappear.

NeilS
27th January 2017, 03:57 PM
To be fair to Chuck he never said he was making "art”. I think his thread said he was taking time out from production work to do a little on the "craft” side.

From what I can see his 'craft' work would sit comfortably in many craft galleries.

Most of my turned pieces have some degree of utility/function, but most just become items that are on display to please the eye. I don't call them art, but my artist friends consider them to be no less art than my paintings or drawings, or theirs, for that matter.

A discussion on what is art or craft, and what distinguishes those from the production output of an artisan, is a challenging topic that might best be left to another time.

I'm for letting Chuck get on with whatever he likes to make (when he is not having to make a crust doing production turning) without copping a critique, based on perhaps a false assumption, that he is putting himself forward as making something that is completely original and unique.

Chuck, I hope you enjoyed your walk on the craft side!

Stay sharp!

Neil

artful bodger
27th January 2017, 06:08 PM
NeilS
There is a reply just above your last post where I admit I was out of line and apologised for it.

chuck1
27th January 2017, 08:39 PM
It's all good. Thanks guys. Just making stock for a bash at the markets. I was made redundant the Monday before Chrissy.
So I might be buying the work lathe. It's been a good break.
It's a safe bet there won't be any production turning for me for a while.

Colin62
27th January 2017, 08:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. I've always enjoyed seeing what you've been making, and always admired your ability to make exact copies in short time. Hope you manage to make decent profit on the craft side. :)

smiife
27th January 2017, 09:35 PM
It's all good. Thanks guys. Just making stock for a bash at the markets. I was made redundant the Monday before Chrissy.
So I might be buying the work lathe. It's been a good break.
It's a safe bet there won't be any production turning for me for a while.

Hi charlie, sorry to hear about your job , with your talent
you will be able to make plenty for sale at markets etc
Have you ever thought about teaching or demos?

chuck1
28th January 2017, 08:21 AM
Hi charlie, sorry to hear about your job , with your talent
you will be able to make plenty for sale at markets etc
Have you ever thought about teaching or demos?

Ta Michael. Thought about teaching. Doing demos is hard to get into. Something will come up.

NeilS
28th January 2017, 10:24 AM
NeilS
There is a reply just above your last post where I admit I was out of line and apologised for it.
Right, all done.

Stay sharp!

Neil