PDA

View Full Version : Shape critique please

rtyuiop
28th January 2017, 09:26 AM
Hi folks,

Haven't done a bowl in a few weeks and came back to it with a lovely bit of coolabah burl.

I am hoping I did it justice, but I tried to get away from my usual style and I can't decide whether or not I like the shape.

Any comments or suggestions?

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/coolabahburl-bowl-3.jpg

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/coolabahburl-bowl-underside.jpg

http://rtyuiop.net/workshop/coolabahburl-bowl-badphoto.jpg

Apologies for the last photo, I was struggling to show a profile of the underside.

Incidentally the crack was filled with some gunmetal cream - I'm hoping it survives like this, I've only used it as a crack filler on pens under CA or similar hard finish in the past.

Cheers,

Danny

Paul39
28th January 2017, 11:18 AM
I like the inside and the ogee profile. I think it would look better if about 1/3 of the bottom were taken off. It looks a bit heavy from the side. You don't say how high the bowl is. If I knew that I could suggest how many mm to remove.

Willy Nelson
28th January 2017, 11:31 AM
Hello Mate
I loved the burl, the inside is good, nice rim, nice underside and good looking finish, but your bum (like many of us) is too big in my opinion. The foot does give the bowl a 'lift', but it is way to big, I reckon half the diameter would look better. I also assume you have used Coles jaws to turn your spigot away, good.
Hope I haven't offended
Sincerely
Willy

PS, I also liked your boxes and cutting boards.

Paul39
28th January 2017, 12:00 PM
After Willy's comment I had another look and measure.

If he meant the foot half the diameter of the bowl, I agree. If he meant half the diameter of the existing foot I think that is too narrow. For an art piece to only look at, a tiny foot is OK. This looks like a bowl to be used, and should not fall over if you put some fruit into it.

Even if the foot is made smaller, I think it needs a little off the bottom.

I have taken a few things to my craft shop that I was unsure about and they were sold in a week. I have taken thing that I thought were wonderful and they sat there for months.

smiife
28th January 2017, 04:36 PM
Hi danny,
Beautiful burl bowl, I think you have done a great job !
I agree with others the bottom looks a bit heavy,
The golden rule is 1/3rd, s....eg width 300mm , height 100mm
Width 300m = foot 100mm , that is if you want to stick to the rules..:~
If you happy with it ,,,, thats all that matters....:;

rtyuiop
28th January 2017, 07:51 PM
Thanks Paul, Willy, smiife!

Yeah, reducing the height of the base is the first thing I was thinking about. I only really stopped because I felt guilty about turning such a nice bit of timber into shavings! I think if i reduce the height of the base it might hide the quite wide foot - I am keen to keep it wide because I am personally fond of the very steep curve down from the rim to the table.

The whole bowl is about 50 x 210. Fortunately or unfortunately I'll be travelling for work for a while so I have some time to think about what (if anything) I want to do to it...

Cheers,

Danny

hughie
28th January 2017, 07:53 PM
I agree with the others about the bottom and looks a bit shallow

smiife
28th January 2017, 08:23 PM
Thanks Paul, Willy, smiife!

Yeah, reducing the height of the base is the first thing I was thinking about. I only really stopped because I felt guilty about turning such a nice bit of timber into shavings! I think if i reduce the height of the base it might hide the quite wide foot - I am keen to keep it wide because I am personally fond of the very steep curve down from the rim to the table.

The whole bowl is about 50 x 210. Fortunately or unfortunately I'll be travelling for work for a while so I have some time to think about what (if anything) I want to do to it...

Cheers,

Danny

Hi danny , I think sometimes it, s good to press the pause
button and just "live with It " for awhile, you can then decide
your next move , If any , whatever ,,you are the only one who
can decide , good luck !

rtyuiop
28th January 2017, 08:28 PM
Yeah, there is something to be said for leaving something alone for a bit then having a look with fresh eyes! In this case I don't have a choice...

Xanthorrhoeas
1st February 2017, 04:56 PM
Stunning timber, fine turning. Yes, the foot shape is a bit unusual - but then again it is quirky too and that can be great. If it were mine I'd just live with it and enjoy that beautiful burl rather than risk stuffing it up. I turned an Australian Cedar bowl that ended up with a strange looking foot because i was trying something new. So I mounted it in the Cole jaws and ... made it boring!

What did you finish it with?

David

rtyuiop
1st February 2017, 11:25 PM
Finish is thinned Kunos Livos - my favourite finish at the moment, ends up with a nice warm satin-y look. I probably could have got a bit more pop with something glossier but it always looks a tiny bit unnatural to me with too much gloss.