PDA

View Full Version : Replace belt

Rod Gilbert
29th January 2017, 07:46 PM
Hi all,
I have a Carba-tec mini lathe as my second lathe for smaller work and it needs a new belt I have removed the handwheel from the outboard end and loosened the set screw on the pulley can anyone help as how to remove the shaft from the head stock I have given it a tap with softface hammer but don't want bash the hell out of it until I know what I am doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Rod.

Old Croc
29th January 2017, 08:08 PM
If you put up a photo Rod, I can tell if it's the same model as mine.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Rod Gilbert
29th January 2017, 08:59 PM
Cheers Crocy,
I this is it hope this helps.
Regards Rod.

BobL
29th January 2017, 09:43 PM
After loosening the set screw on the pulley, does the bully turn on the shaft.
Once it does that then you should be able to tap the shaft through the pulley.

Old Croc
29th January 2017, 10:49 PM
Sorry Rod, mine is a different model. Mine has a couple of lefthand thread nuts on the outboard side of the spindle which you remove and the spindle knocks out through the pulley.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Rod Gilbert
30th January 2017, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the replies,
Cheers Crocky.
Yes Bob the pulley is loose on the shaft I have given the shaft a few taps with nylon hammer and it seemed quite solid I didn't want to wail into it until I got some advise as to the way to go.
Regards Rod.

Rod Gilbert
30th January 2017, 08:54 AM
All good,
I moved the lathe to get better access and a good square thump with the soft face hammer and it moved straight away another tap and out it came.
Thank you for the replies and advise.
Regards Rod.

BobL
30th January 2017, 09:42 AM
Success is a wonderful thing :2tsup:

Rod Gilbert
30th January 2017, 08:17 PM
Even better our local bearing supply will have a new belt for me on Wednesday thanks again.
Regards Rod.