PDA

View Full Version : Help adjusting A Durden L500

Fumbler
1st February 2017, 01:46 PM
Team, I am currently using a Durden L500, a sturdy machine she be. But alas the head and tail stock are not aligned. There is no way to shim the tail stock . Can anyone guide me on how to adjust the headstock/loosen to adjust so that both stocks are aligned.

all help welcome.

Willy Nelson
1st February 2017, 03:27 PM
Yes, I think I do.
I have owned a Durden Top Turn 400 for 20+ years, just sold it last month, great ,machines (not as good as a Vimarc though). The alignment would shift on my lathe for just about every interstate move.
Loosen the bolts under the bed, where the bed is bolted to the headstock. Bring the tail stock up to the head stock with a tail cone and live centre installed on each. Adjust/move the bed until the two points are as close (aligned) as you can get them. Tighten the bed bolts, check your alignment again.
Hope this solves your problem
Sincerely
Willy

Fumbler
2nd February 2017, 01:42 AM
Willy, thankyou, i'll give it a crack. unfortunately there is a plate at the headstock end of the bed and I am not sure how to remove to enable access underneath, short of taking entire lathe off the table and flipping over to undo the bolts you described. I am not sure if the plate is pushed on using locater pins or some other form of fixation. the mis-alignment hasn't bothered me yet as only out by 1mm but when using forstner or drill bits the hole ends up wider than needed. ie 8mm drill 10mm hole.