PDA

View Full Version : My first lamp on lathe

conwood
6th September 2005, 02:14 PM
Hi All, (My first new thread..hope it works)

This is my first project on my lathe which I have owned for years and only done bits and pieces with. Am getting the turning bug, a common phenomena on the forum.

The lamp foot/base is made from left-over Tasmanian Myrtle slab which I bought years ago to build my laundry bench top. The glass supports are also from the same piece.

The stem is mango which I acquired years ago with roots. After turning the blank I realised what lovely grain there was and decided to do something with it, hence the lamp. (got another mango piece the other day which promises to be more interesting)

The two disks are made from very old baltic pine which was my wife's grandmother's flour board.

The white opaque glass was sourced from local lead light guild. Cost $30 ($108 per metre) plus about $15 for the electrical fittings.

It emits a lovely soft light, but I would love to play with different glass in the future. I hope to sell it to buy more tools and machines..another bug.

Kind regards and keep playing with wood.

conwood

gatiep
6th September 2005, 04:55 PM
Very nice mate and I like the shade. Getting an appropriate shade is always a problem. Congratulations....I hope you get infected by the venom of the turning bug!

adrian
6th September 2005, 05:30 PM
The stem is mango which I acquired years ago with roots.

I was dying to make a statement about taking money instead. But I won't.
I like it. It looks like it belongs on a a yacht, circa 1910. It makes a lot of sense to make things with practical applications other than the usual bowls and goblets. Well done.

dai sensei
6th September 2005, 09:40 PM
Nice work Conwood.

I especially like the mango stem. Adrian is right, it does sort of look like something that would go well with a boat, but I'm sure you'll find an appropriate place for it.

Cheers