PDA

View Full Version : It's too damn hot!

DaveVman
3rd February 2017, 09:29 PM
I'd like to muck around in the shed but it's just too damn hot. I find myself on the internet instead.

BobL
3rd February 2017, 09:47 PM
Ah yes, in summer the refrigerated air con is the most important machine in the shed.

Today it only reached 32º but it was a bit humid so the mens shed evaporative air unit struggled but my shed was cool as.
There is a down side though, can't use DC for too long doing the middle of the day.
When it's this hot I tend to do MW or repairs and save the DC for the cool of the morning.

Old-Biker-UK
4th February 2017, 04:40 AM
snip... it's just too damn hot. ...snip
Oh no it's not, at least not here in Somerset:no:
5 deg, Raining & the wind bringing down branches in my yard.
Need thermal underwear to work in the shed...
Mark

Pat
4th February 2017, 05:47 AM
Mark, that's just the norm for the old dart :)

Robson Valley
4th February 2017, 05:49 AM
Be careful what you wish for.
Nice & sunny, no wind, blinding snow glare off all the mountains around my house.
Nothing local more than 8,500' within a couple miles of the house.

And -27C yesterday AM, just -20C this AM.

Pat
4th February 2017, 06:49 AM
22C at 0645 this morning, top 27C. Tomorrow, up to 34C. I think the lawns will be done today, so lounging in the pool tomorrow, after playing in the shed :q

Treecycle
4th February 2017, 08:42 AM
Just one day ahead of you Pat, we will have 34C today. Like they used to say for Queensland tourism, beautiful one day, perfect the next.

NathanaelBC
4th February 2017, 09:33 AM
Indoors, reading, like Vic Tesolin or Christopher Schwarz or Charles Hayward or David Charlesworth.

chambezio
4th February 2017, 10:27 AM
Early in December I was driving through the industrial area of Tamworth and on the spur of the moment dropped into an airconditioning crowd to see roughly what evaporative would cost to be ducted through the house........2 weeks we had it installed. Since its been running I have only been out in the shed briefly a hand full of times. Its just too damned hot outside.

Down side.....the desk I am sitting at that I made 20 plus years ago now has 2 tight-to-operate drawers Extra moisture in the air more than normal

DaveVman
4th February 2017, 11:10 AM

I can't even imagine -27!
The nearest I have been to that was in a simulated Antarctica environment.
I think it was even colder in there but only for about 5 minutes.

Although at least you could heat your shed.
I have to resolve my dust collection before I could think about air conditioning.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tonyz
4th February 2017, 08:50 PM
Like they used to say for Queensland tourism, beautiful one day, perfect the next.

haha not Queensland, perfect never! too many old farts around and then the dopey sods grab their Winnabagos and travel south thinking it will be cooler, AND sit on 80k/h thinking they own the world, serriously next one that gets in my way gets shot. Had enough of the idiots. STAY HOME WE can live without you.

Big Shed
4th February 2017, 08:54 PM
Tonto, you will find the Queenslanders say the same thing in winter when the Mexicans migrate north.:wink:

Tonyz
4th February 2017, 09:27 PM
Maybe but at least southeners know the speed limit and keep to it, well the only reason they dont is the locals dont understand the difference, so much sun & heat has affected the grey matter

:D:rolleyes:

bryn23
4th February 2017, 09:42 PM
Im in for a reality check, i visited my new Brisbane workshop during the week... it was like an oven in there, i'm going to need to invest in some fans, even then with those, that would make it a fan forced oven shed:(

As much as i love air con, and have spent most of the summer in it:D, with a 6 mtr high roof industrial shed, the electrically bill would hurt more than the heat would...

i miss cooler climates, so much easier to heat than cool.

Kuffy
4th February 2017, 10:00 PM
I came across something a week or so ago which has changed how my body reacts to hot weather. In recent times when it got hot outside, it would get very hot in the garage quickly when running the dust extractor along with the saw or thicknesser. By about 1pm I have had enough and call it quits for the day. But now I am "working for the man" again and I have to do what ever he tells me to do.

So the second day working for him, it was a hot day about 36° and I needed to chase a forklift around outside in the direct sun on concrete slabs for about an hour, just in my standard work attire being shorts and tshirt. Well sure enough, when I came back into the factory my body had overheated and I was about to throw up. So I said to the bossman, "I know it's as soft as ya can get, but I gotta go home cause I just ain't man enough". And off I trot back home, there was only 45mins left for the day anyway.

Now upon getting home, I searched the symptoms etc being pretty confident that it was just heat exhaustion and not heat stroke. But I came across something about "how to stay hydrated". Seems obvious right, just drink water. But I had drank 6@600ml bottles of water already that day and it was only 2:15pm. But it also said you need potassium which lets the blood flow around the body and I guess spread water around the body. Well since my diet consists of a choice between KFC/maccas most lunches and dinners, there is basically no potassium in my diet at all, and I sure as hell don't eat leafy greens..YUCK!!!!

So now everyday at smoko, I drink a bottle of powerade or gatorade and that stuff has a bunch of sodium/potassium/magnesium and calcium in it. Now today was pretty hot in Melbourne, but I was flat out like a lizard drinkin' all day in the garage except for about an hour when the neighbours had their house auction around midday. I was barely even sweating. Certainly not beads of sweat dripping off my face like usual.

NathanaelBC
5th February 2017, 12:00 AM
The powdered electrolytes are good too and work out cheaper than buying it pre-made, I usually chuck a few spoonfuls in my Camelbak when I go hiking.

Jeffen
5th February 2017, 01:50 AM
Or you could eat a banana - plenty of potassium. As for hydration, I take a 5l water cooler (with a big block of ice in it) into my shed, and give up when I finish it!

I came across something a week or so ago which has changed how my body reacts to hot weather. In recent times when it got hot outside, it would get very hot in the garage quickly when running the dust extractor along with the saw or thicknesser. By about 1pm I have had enough and call it quits for the day. But now I am "working for the man" again and I have to do what ever he tells me to do.

So the second day working for him, it was a hot day about 36° and I needed to chase a forklift around outside in the direct sun on concrete slabs for about an hour, just in my standard work attire being shorts and tshirt. Well sure enough, when I came back into the factory my body had overheated and I was about to throw up. So I said to the bossman, "I know it's as soft as ya can get, but I gotta go home cause I just ain't man enough". And off I trot back home, there was only 45mins left for the day anyway.

Now upon getting home, I searched the symptoms etc being pretty confident that it was just heat exhaustion and not heat stroke. But I came across something about "how to stay hydrated". Seems obvious right, just drink water. But I had drank 6@600ml bottles of water already that day and it was only 2:15pm. But it also said you need potassium which lets the blood flow around the body and I guess spread water around the body. Well since my diet consists of a choice between KFC/maccas most lunches and dinners, there is basically no potassium in my diet at all, and I sure as hell don't eat leafy greens..YUCK!!!!

So now everyday at smoko, I drink a bottle of powerade or gatorade and that stuff has a bunch of sodium/potassium/magnesium and calcium in it. Now today was pretty hot in Melbourne, but I was flat out like a lizard drinkin' all day in the garage except for about an hour when the neighbours had their house auction around midday. I was barely even sweating. Certainly not beads of sweat dripping off my face like usual.

Robson Valley
5th February 2017, 04:03 AM
Absolutely tropical this morning, only -15C. And that feels very much warmer than -27C.
My "shed" is heated, approx 1/4 of the dowstairs level in my house. I can close it off,
temp sinks to maybe 14C but it warms up to maybe 17-18C = good for mallet-swinging carving.
The wood pellet stove is in the next room (my #2 kitchen) and it runs 24/7 to heat everything.
Very cool & shady on hot (30C) summer afternoons when the stove is shut down for the season.

Pat
5th February 2017, 06:09 AM
Rob, just for your peace of mind, I did my lawns yesterday and tested out the pool, so I am right for today's festivities . . . shed then pool and maybe some liquid refreshment after shed:beer:

whitey56
5th February 2017, 06:10 AM
We just flew in from Texas yesterday morning from 2 to 20 deg to Brisbane at high 20's at 8-00 am, I want to go straight back but a double dose of jet-lag might be harder on the old body.

gnu52
5th February 2017, 06:33 AM
The BOM site predicted 7 days of 41 degrees or higher for Goondiwindi( on the Qld/NSW border) and with two days of that prediction to go it looks like being correct. The hottest so far was Wednesday when the car thermometer indicated 43.5 on the bitumen while I was travelling. It literally sounded like driving through water as the tar melted.
There has been no shed time since before Christmas even though there is an a/c in the shed.....just too expensive to run.

Chris Parks
5th February 2017, 10:22 AM
I was going to do some welding today for my dust extraction ducting boom but on second thoughts maybe not.

Pat
5th February 2017, 10:54 AM
Well, I spent the best part of an hour in my shed and have given it up as a bad joke. only 30°, but the humidity it too much.

bryn23
5th February 2017, 10:57 AM
I was going to do some welding today for my dust extraction ducting boom but on second thoughts maybe not.

I started a 10 week welding course course last week at TAFE, i'm all dressed up in my leathers, it hot as , and i'm thinking, why didn't i wait until winter:(

Lappa
5th February 2017, 11:23 AM
Flurry of work in the shed on Friday as the temp wasn't too bad. Fitted the mods. to the front of the extraction system. Hot yesterday while doing some testing (anemometer was showing 31.9 degrees for the air coming through the ducting) but noticed a vibration in the system because of the solid pipe connection from the dusty to the ducting - previous 5" to 6" had flexy. Thought to myself I'll cut the pipe and put a small length of flexy in tomorrow. Just went into the shed - 35 degrees at 11am. 38degrees at 12:10 and rising:?
It can wait.

spokeshave
5th February 2017, 11:46 AM
This was the temp under my pergola Monday just gone, much better today, overcast and around 30deg.

DaveVman
5th February 2017, 11:56 AM
I want air conditioning but I don't even have DC yet.

DaveVman
5th February 2017, 12:11 PM
As much as i love air con, and have spent most of the summer in it:D, with a 6 mtr high roof industrial shed, the electrically bill would hurt more than the heat would...

i miss cooler climates, so much easier to heat than cool.

Cold air falls. You only need to cool the first 2m.

Rob, just for your peace of mind, I did my lawns yesterday and tested out the pool, so I am right for today's festivities . . . shed then pool and maybe some liquid refreshment after shed[emoji481]

BobL
5th February 2017, 12:16 PM
Cold air falls. You only need to cool the first 2m.

Power tools, machinery and humans make air hot and end up mixing it.
Not to mention dust extraction.

DaveVman
5th February 2017, 01:08 PM
Power tools, machinery and humans make air hot and end up mixing it.
Not to mention dust extraction.
There must be some clever way to cool a big shed without full on air conditioning. I doesn't need to be perfect. As long as it was 27 or below the body isn't fighting to cool down.
The problem we have here in SE Queensland is that it is both hot and humid. So evaporative cooling is not as effective as elsewhere.

I have been thinking about doing a little experiment with evaporative cooling just to see how it would go. However I still don't have DC sorted out so I really don't want to close the windows and doors. In fact I have most things on casters now so that I can work outside.

bryn23
5th February 2017, 01:35 PM
Like DaveVman brought up, its the humidly with the heat that does the damage, well for me it does.

Dry heat isn't too bad, as once your in the shade with a bit of wind, its not too bad and you don't have sawdust sticking to you lie your a sponge.

My Industrial unit is all concrete panels with a 5.5 mtr high roller door and a single for on the same north facing aspect, so no cross ventilation for me.

If i didn't have council restrictions of no operating after 7pm, i'd work from 4pm onwards and into the night when its a tad cooler.

The heat will start to die off in around 6 weeks, i'm looking forwards to winter:D.

GraemeCook
5th February 2017, 03:51 PM
http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/icons/icon1.png http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Robson Valley http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/damn-hot-211838-post2005052#post2005052)

Just to put this in perspective and to help you imagine, Dave, your freezer is probably set at -20C !

And Robson only has to enjoy it for six months of the year.

Cheers

Graeme

GraemeCook
5th February 2017, 03:54 PM
http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/misc/paperclip.png Attached Thumbnails http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=405654&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1486255473 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=405654&d=1486255473)

This was the temp under my pergola Monday just gone, much better today, overcast and around 30deg.

My shower temperature is set at 42C !

Cheers

Graeme

Chris Parks
6th February 2017, 12:36 PM
All shed roofs should be double skinned with an air flow space between the skins. The top layer gets heated, air starts moving between the layers by convection and the inner roof stays cooler. Tents used to have flys for a reason and Landrovers had tropical double roofs for a reason.

DaveVman
6th February 2017, 02:50 PM
All shed roofs should be double skinned with an air flow space between the skins. The top layer gets heated, air starts moving between the layers by convection and the inner roof stays cooler. Tents used to have flys for a reason and Landrovers had tropical double roofs for a reason.
Mine has some big trees towering above it. These create all kinds of headaches for me but the one positive is that they keep the afternoon sun off the roof of the shed.

I love the idea of a double skin roof on a shed.

Dave Reed
6th February 2017, 03:22 PM
The nearest I have been to that was in a simulated Antarctica environment.
I think it was even colder in there but only for about 5 minutes.

Although at least you could heat your shed.
I have to resolve my dust collection before I could think about air conditioning.

I have just installed a second hand evap air con in the shed and it makes a major difference to the dust levels. No layer of dust on everything and nothing floating in the air so strongly recommend looking at this option. Don't know how I'll go in winter though

DaveVman
11th February 2017, 02:53 PM
I have just installed a second hand evap air con in the shed and it makes a major difference to the dust levels.

Please tell me more. What size cooler is it?
How big is your shed?
Do you keep the door etc open. In theory an evaporative cooler works better in good ventilation but I just wondered what you found.
Do you live in a humid place?

BobL
11th February 2017, 03:19 PM
Don't know how I'll go in winter though

Won't be any different to running a DC that vents outside the shed. Last winter I hardly wore a jumper in the shed - maybe just the odd hour or two in the morning.

Dave Reed
11th February 2017, 03:30 PM
Not sure on the size of the AC although I think it's on the lower end of the scale, but as its designed to keep a house cool it's way oversized for the shed which is about 30 sq metres and yes I keep the doors and window open. I rang around a few AC Installers asking for a good second hand unit and picked it up fully installed for just over $1000, a good investment for me as I don't cope as well in the heat as I used to. I did have a refrigerated AC in the shed but it suffered from the dust and kept blocking the filters, this would be OK if there was a dust free section of the shed but they chew through the power and don't do anything for the dust problem
Perth is lucky enough to have a dry heat nearly all of the summer although it can often get up around the 35 - 40 deg mark. That said we're going through our coldest February days for over a century at the moment with the rainfall for all of Feb arriving in one day. Totally different to the East, I hope you're all coping OK with the heat (remember to keep the amber fluid intake up).
Cheers
Dave

BobL
11th February 2017, 04:20 PM
Not sure on the size of the AC although I think it's on the lower end of the scale, but as its designed to keep a house cool it's way oversized for the shed which is about 30 sq metres and yes I keep the doors and window open. I rang around a few AC Installers asking for a good second hand unit and picked it up fully installed for just over $1000, a good investment for me as I don't cope as well in the heat as I used to.
Sounds like a good deal Dave and re coping with the heat I think we all suffer that problem eventually :)

That said we're going through our coldest February days for over a century at the moment with the rainfall for all of Feb arriving in one day.
I think you'll find it was a lot more than that.
Feb has an average rainfall of 8.8mm and we had 114mm last Thursday day where it rained steadily the whole day (and flooded my shed - well lots of leaks)

Dave Reed
11th February 2017, 04:40 PM
Hope nothing got damaged, I remember you had electrical speed control systems on much of your gear

BobL
11th February 2017, 04:54 PM
No real damage,
Some crappy MDF bits and pieces I should have chucked out years ago soaked up a fair bit of water and can now definitely go in the bin.
One of drill bit set boxes filled up with water and I didn't see that till this morning and it has already started to rust.
Other than that it's all OK.

DaveVman
13th February 2017, 05:38 PM
I finally ventured into the shed on Saturday. More accurately I rolled everything out into the carport as the sun faded on a 37 degree day. Finished one project and started another.
Sunday was even hotter and I couldn't face it.

I wonder if one of those portable domestic air coolers would make a difference in our humid SE Queensland climate.

Chris Parks
13th February 2017, 09:09 PM
It was very pleasant to wake up to what was a nice cool morning for a change and be able to get into the shed and actually do something and is the first day in a long time the AC has not been on for at least part of the time.

GraemeCook
14th February 2017, 04:13 PM
Mine has some big trees towering above it. These create all kinds of headaches for me but the one positive is that they keep the afternoon sun off the roof of the shed.

I love the idea of a double skin roof on a shed.

Hi Dave

Colleague retrofitted two thicknesses of sisalation in his shed.

First layer was stapled to the underside of the roof battens.
Second layer was stapled to the underside of the rafters.

Thus he has two air gaps:

30mm between tin roof and top layer of sisalation.
100mm between layers of sisalation.

Temperature is noticably improved on both hot and cold days, and shed is a little better lit as the new "ceiling" reflects light. In Tas we do not have humidity!

Cheers

Graeme