PDA

View Full Version : New Tool plan - Thin parting tool

Fumbler
8th February 2017, 03:03 AM
I am at it again, first was the carbide tipped lathe tools, now am making a thin bladed parting tool. 3mm x 40mm 316 grade Stainless. Hopefully it will hold an edge, might go 304 if this doesn't work, then maybe HSS if I can get hold of a small piece of flat bar.
Idea is to drill out handle with 10mm drill, then cu slot at ferrule end (25mm), see pic. Handle not turned yet, but will test of fake handle before, epoxying into real thing. I had thought of making a knife handle with rivets, but i like the feel a turned handle.

Blackforester
8th February 2017, 08:26 AM
I have been using power hacksaw blades 1.2mm thick for years as thin bladed parting tools and never broke one in use. Holds edge very well.

BobL
8th February 2017, 10:29 AM
3mm is not that thin, I would call a standard hacksaw blade "thin"
SS is usually quite soft so my guess is as even if it can form a decent edge to start with, it probably will not hold that edge, and theres a chance that it will bend.
Have you ever notice how crap SS knives are at holding an edge in the kitchen where they're not usually even cutting wood.
If you can't find a piece of power hack saw its best to go straight to HSS.

powderpost
8th February 2017, 07:52 PM
I have been using a thin parting tool for years, made from a power hack saw blade. It holds an edge very well.

Jim

hughie
8th February 2017, 09:03 PM
I am at it again, first was the carbide tipped lathe tools, now am making a thin bladed parting tool. 3mm x 40mm 316 grade Stainless. Hopefully it will hold an edge, might go 304 if this doesn't work, then maybe HSS if I can get hold of a small piece of flat bar.
Idea is to drill out handle with 10mm drill, then cu slot at ferrule end (25mm), see pic. Handle not turned yet, but will test of fake handle before, epoxying into real thing. I had thought of making a knife handle with rivets, but i like the feel a turned handle.
316 stainless is food grade , 304 is softer or rather stiffer neither can be heat treated so they will remain soft. Go with HSS at least it will keep the edge as opposed to stainless. If you must use stainless try and get some 440 is a knife steel ,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martensitic_stainless_steel

Fumbler
9th February 2017, 01:10 AM
Cheers, I have taken all on Board and will look into the different options. Think I might go the Power Hacksaw blade, or find some HSS.

By the way, here's the handle.

Dalboy
9th February 2017, 04:19 AM
If you make it like the one in your first post I would not cut out where the handle is just sandwich it between two pieces of wood which I feel would give a stronger handle to tool Like the crown (http://www.crownhandtools.ltd.uk/page60.html) ones. See the one on the left

Paul39
9th February 2017, 06:18 AM
Fumbler,

Beautiful handle. I agree with not cutting down the end of the parting tool to fit into a drilled hole. Going deep with a thin tool put a lot of stress on the tool which will be concentrated at the right angle cut. If you must, make the back a long ramp to the thin part.

I have used a $1.00 bread knife for years as a thin parting tool. I ground off the sharp cutting edge and grind the tip at about 80 degrees. I use it fat side up to provide clearance. The tip is shown on the right in the attached photo.

A parting tool is usually not used for long periods of time, as a bowl gouge hollowing, so carbon steel resharpened before parting works for me.

You could use a knife blade with your own handle.

Fumbler
9th February 2017, 07:02 AM
316 stainless is food grade , 304 is softer or rather stiffer neither can be heat treated so they will remain soft. Go with HSS at least it will keep the edge as opposed to stainless. If you must use stainless try and get some 440 is a knife steel ,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martensitic_stainless_steel

316 is Marine grade, not food grade and is essentially Marine grade ie. rust resistant. but agreed the 316/304 are the same hardness. HSS here I come

Fumbler
9th February 2017, 07:03 AM
oops, I guess i'll keep the handle for another tool and just sandwich using knife rivets.

Thanks for all the advice/tips

NeilS
9th February 2017, 10:15 AM
Don't forget to round over the bottom edges so that you don't dig into your tool rests.

Stay sharp!

Neil

Fumbler
10th February 2017, 01:05 AM
Don't forget to round over the bottom edges so that you don't dig into your tool rests.

Stay sharp!

Neil

Thanks for the heads up. and will definitely round off

QuarkVI
10th February 2017, 05:03 AM
+1 for the power hacksaw blade

Also check aliexpress as they sell 200mm lengths (various widths) of 2 and 3mm HSS

Fumbler
10th February 2017, 05:24 AM

Also check aliexpress as they sell 200mm lengths (various widths) of 2 and 3mm HSS

Bingo, I forgot about my mate at Alibaba. I have managed to pick up quite a bit of small quantity stuff from them, thanks for the reminder.

Fumbler
10th February 2017, 05:34 AM

Sorted. 1 piece 200x40x2 HSS coming up. US$4.54 (might justhave to wait for delivery, zzzzzzzz).......mmmm, damn expensive, not. cheaper than a Powersaw blade. Although I may drop round some machine shop to see if anyone has an old spent one for nix.

crow400
12th February 2017, 08:36 AM
Bought my thin HSS blank from McJings. Next day delivery. Have been using it for years.

pommyphil
12th February 2017, 09:38 AM
Or if not in a hurry AliExpress 2mm X 40mm X 200 US$4.46 free postage.

compared to McJings 1/16 X 1 1/4 X 8" $25 plus postage

crow400
12th February 2017, 03:38 PM
1/16 x 3/8 x 6'' is what I use. Cost $10. Never tried a parting tool 1 1/4'' on the flat side. Never will either.

NeilS
12th February 2017, 04:20 PM
Never tried a parting tool 1 1/4'' on the flat side. Never will either.

No, but, that 1.25" depth helps make a narrow parting tool more rigid.

Stay sharp!

Neil

powderpost
12th February 2017, 09:03 PM
1/16 x 3/8 x 6'' is what I use. Cost $10. Never tried a parting tool 1 1/4'' on the flat side. Never will either.

I sincerely hope it never gets caugt in a deep cut off. That will give you some very exciting moments...

Jim

Mobyturns
13th February 2017, 08:52 AM
A tool handle like the Hamlet HCT089 is the way to go - Woodturning Parting Tool from Hamlet Craft Tools of Sheffield (http://hamletcrafttools.co.uk/parting-tool.html)

hughie
13th February 2017, 07:12 PM
316 is Marine grade, not food grade and is essentially Marine grade ie. rust resistant. but agreed the 316/304 are the same hardness. HSS here I come

316 and 316L are used extensively for both, much depends on whether you dealing with boats or packaging food. 18:8 used to the common stainless for all boat fittings.
Stainless Steels for Food Processing (http://www.australwright.com.au/stainless-steels-for-food-processing/) and ASSDA (http://www.assda.asn.au/component/content/category/43-marine)

Both applications have the same desired end, namely corrosion resistance. Its a preference rather a designated design or formula for either application. You will find 304 is softer and lends its self to bending whereas 316 is hard to bend even with heat.

pommyphil
13th February 2017, 08:38 PM
A tool handle like the Hamlet HCT089 is the way to go - Woodturning Parting Tool from Hamlet Craft Tools of Sheffield (http://hamletcrafttools.co.uk/parting-tool.html)

Yes,maybe just epoxy a couple of 4"scales for the handle,perfect + quick, cheap and easy.

powderpost
13th February 2017, 09:23 PM
These are my thin parting tools, not pretty but functional. The top one is 35mm wide, 2mm thick and 170mm long, both made from hack saw blades. The handles are glued on with epoxy. The second "tool" is 24mm wide, 1.3mm thick and 180mm long. I use these frequently for parting off 4mm thick layers, up to 80mm diameter discs. They have been in use now for about four years. Yes, they can be a problem, but with care and a bit of common sense, they will do a good job safely.

Jim

Fumbler
14th February 2017, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=Mobyturns;2006681]A tool handle like the Hamlet HCT089 is the way to go

I shall look at that as I have a nice piece of Tassie blackwood to make a handle.

pommyphil
14th February 2017, 02:31 PM
This is mine GPW or Mcjing a good tool. Phil406296

Fumbler
21st February 2017, 03:25 AM
well the US$4.54 - 200x40x2 HSS flat bar turned up today, so will get to it. debating now as to whether use the turned handle I made or put a regular knife handle like Pommyphil. i'll have to discuss with my inner selves. they seem to be much like my kids, one wants one thing, one wants another and one of them ends up crying. not that I'm going to cry......... either way I have a nice piece of Tas Blackwood picked out for the handle if I go that way.