PDA

View Full Version : Tormek SVD-186 and TTS-100 query

James Elliott
8th February 2017, 11:39 PM
I have just purchased a Tormek SVD-186 chisel sharpening jig.
On reading the instructions it seems that you need a TTS-100 Turning Tool Setting card, as well.

However, the parameters you set, using the TTS-100, are:
A - angle - set by altering the elbow of the tool holder part of the jig (click set);
P - protrusion - the amount the tip of the gouge protrudes from the jig;
H - hole - putting the tool-rest bar through hole A or B on the TTS-100 card.

I can easily set the angle - if it says use "2" in the instructions, then I click-set the elbow to "2";
I can easily set the protrusion - if it specifies a 55mm protrusion, I can measure that, instead of using the TTS-100 card to do it;
but I cannot do "Hole A" or "Hole B" without buying the TTS-100 Turning Tool Setting card.

Do any of you clever woodturners know a way around this, other than buying the TTS-100 card device? If I knew how far apart Hole A and Hole B were, or their distance to the stone, I could work it out, but I need a TTS-100 card to get those parameters.

Hole A and Hole B set the distance of the tool-rest bar from the stone after setting the angle and protrusion. How can I do that without purchasing a TTS-100 Tool Setting card?

BTW, I am going to use this Tormek SVD-186 chisel sharpening jig on my new Scheppach Tiger 2500 wet stone grinder. The Scheppach comes with an 'angle finder' card. Is there some way I can use this instead?

Many thanks in advance,

James

NCArcher
9th February 2017, 02:10 PM
Just buy the TTS-100. Makes it quick and, more importantly, repeatable to sharpen a chisel the same every time.

James Elliott
10th February 2017, 12:59 AM
Just buy the TTS-100. Makes it quick and, more importantly, repeatable to sharpen a chisel the same every time.

Good advice, and it's not expensive. Thanks.

Bluegum
11th February 2017, 12:50 PM
It'll be the the best thing you can buy to keep your tools sharp. Its accurate and the system works.

James Elliott
5th March 2017, 02:48 AM
Thanks to you all for your advice. I have since bought the TTS-100 Turning Tool Setting card, and i am delighted with it.

James