PDA

View Full Version : Help Please Gidgee? Myall? Boree?

Flindersia
18th February 2017, 10:36 PM
I have some squares of turning timber that were said to be Gidgee milled in Bundaberg in the 1970's. Clearly were they to be Gidgee they travelled some distance to the mill were this to be true. Regardless, they were cut for bagpipe manufacture and have been used for that purpose the last 40 odd years. I had no reason to believe the timber wasn't Gidgee until I found one of the pieces identified in chalk as "Black Boree". I've heard Myall described as Boree but I have never heard the term "Black Boree". Personally I find it difficult to tell the difference between Myall and Gidgee, perhaps because i've only seen a half dozen pieces of Myall over the years. Hence, my question(s). Has anyone heard the term"Black Boree"? If so, what is the more common name applied to this timber? Secondly, between Gidgee and Myall which of the two would be more likely to be used for bagpipe manufacture (which is the better tonewood)? Last of all, is there a way of telling Myall and Gidgee apart as sawn timber? For what it's worth there's a photo attached here although I recognise many of the Acacia's are pretty much impossible to tell apart from a photograph. Ignore the "G" on the end grain. I put that there before I saw the "Black Boree" scribble. Apologies for posting this in the turning forum but I suspected that those that spend time in this forum are more likely to have seen the timbers in question. Any help greatly appreciated.

dai sensei
19th February 2017, 12:06 AM
All acacias and pretty similar. Boree - Acacia tephrina, Myall - Acacia pendula, Gidgee - Acacia cambagei.

Can't say I've heard of Black Boree, but it is a common name, so could be just old growth Boree. There is a Black Gidgee - Acacia argyrodendron

Flindersia
19th February 2017, 07:44 AM
Thanks. One thing I should have said is that the lengths in 50x50 squares are up to 2m long, very straight and without even a hint of end grain checking (see photo). This seems out of character to me for Gidgee which seems to open up on the end grain (check) quite readily. Although on reflection most of my bad experiences with it have been when left in the round. I understood Myall to be a lot more stable while drying? No idea about Boree. Getting a straight 2m length from any of these trees I would have thought a challenge as well although I guess there are some better sized trees with straighter boles out there. In the end I guess it doesn't matter which of the 3 or 4 possible species it is. Just curious.

dai sensei
19th February 2017, 09:49 PM
Another very dark acacia from up that way, or a bit further north, very stable and available in long straight grained lengths, is the Inland Rosewood - Acacia rhodoxylon. Hard and heavy as, and wouldn't surprise me if someone called it black gidgee, pretty similar but darker.

Cliff Rogers
20th February 2017, 09:19 AM
Where is TTIT when you need him.