PDA

View Full Version : Q Maple bud vase

Rod Gilbert
20th February 2017, 10:11 AM
Hi all,
I got this small piece of figured Queensland Maple from JohnG a while ago,I kept looking at it wondering what to do with it as it was only about 120x140x65.
Just turned this little bud vase what do you think.
Regards Rod.

smiife
20th February 2017, 06:49 PM
Hi rod, nice job , it has very nice figure and good finish
Well done :2tsup:

Old Croc
20th February 2017, 08:04 PM
Rod, I actually like the design, I always struggle to make good looking vases, so I may try and replicate it. You used my favorite timber, quite underated.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Rod Gilbert
20th February 2017, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the replies,
The reason you might like the design I believe is because the shapes are true radii I believe this always leads to a pleasant shape to the eye. The piece of timber that I used was very nice and as you say Queensland maple is a very nice timber it gives good finish and works well in clear grain boards it is easy to work and takes machining well leaves sharp clean lines. The finish I used is good old Shellawax and is easy to get a beautiful finish on the lathe.
Regards Rod.

John.G
20th February 2017, 10:09 PM
I'm probably a bit biased but I like it, it's quite delightful in fact.

Thank you Rod for the pictures. I always get a kick out of seeing what people do with the timber: it completes something for me. It started as a seed on a cane farm off Menzel Road, Euramo, Qld and 80 or so years later its a vase in Imbil. How cool is that?