PDA

View Full Version : Question re an auction item

chrisinoz
21st February 2017, 06:06 PM
Hi

I am considering bidding for cabinet doors https://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.aspx?id=1107795

I have started woodworking making trays. I am using jarrah and other hardwoods for the sides. The sides range from 35mm to 40mm high.
I am trying to evaluate how many sides I could get out of the oak and blackwood frames.

For example if the frames are less than 75mm then I could only get one 35mm side of it instead of two if it was 75mm or greater.

I know there are quite a few different sizes there so my question is on an average what are the width of cabinet door frames?

Thanks
Chris

Rod Gilbert
21st February 2017, 06:50 PM
Hi Chris,
The frames would be about 75mm in total but there is no set standard size for them I usually make mine about 70-75mm but then you have the molding to the inside edge and the groove for the panel which is about 10mm bringing the framing back to 60-65mm also don't forget about the hinge holes on the hung side of the door which will reduce the length of that side.
Regards Rod.

chrisinoz
21st February 2017, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Rod. Hadn't considered the hinge holes but if get some shorter lengths to avoid the holes then I can do some clocks with that. Fortunately most of the doors appear to have no grooving.

Cheers

aldav
22nd February 2017, 08:54 PM
Hi Chris,

Did you buy these? I occasionally manage to buy doors like this (used) from our local tip shops for $5 to $10 each. Stuff like this is always tempting if you can re-purpose it and get it at the right price.

chrisinoz
22nd February 2017, 09:06 PM
Hi aldav.

It was looking okay till near the end and then it went from 125 - 400 in the last half hour so I passed on it. I didn't see that value in it for me.

I keep scouting like you obviously do.

Cheers
Chris

aldav
22nd February 2017, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I had a look at the ended auction. That finishing price was a bit rich for me. Either a couple of bidders got really carried away or somebody knew exactly what was there and had a place for it to go!

Cheers,
David

GraemeCook
24th February 2017, 08:56 AM
Hi Chris

As Aldev say used cabinet doors are frequently available from tip shops.

Both new and used cabinet doors are also frequently available from building materials salvage depots; say $10 to $30 for new, depending on size, wood type, quality and the whim of the salvor operator.

Cheers

Graeme

chrisinoz
24th February 2017, 03:19 PM
Thanks Graeme for your input. If $20 is say a fair price for a good door then $440 for 30 plus doors as I estimate it was an okay deal.

GraemeCook
25th February 2017, 02:03 PM
Probably, depending on your proposed usage.