PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning/Grinder Sharpening Jig

VikingCode
27th February 2017, 09:06 AM
This is the 'King Heiple' sharpening jig, plans over at http://stwt.org/pdf/king%20heiple%20sharp%20jig.pdf It was published by FineWoodworking in a book I believe, but they released the extract/single page.

A DIY approach for sharpening turning tools. We (by "we" I mean my wife bought with my money) bought a new Vicmarc grinder + vicmarc CBN wheel. Previously on our 6" full speed grinder, we had a Woodcut Trugrind that neither of us were a fan of, but the budget was flatlined because of the grinder/wheel, so I was 'forced' to build a system as I didn't really want to deal with the problems of the Trugrind anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws_JoC4BXOQ

All up ~$6.70 in hardwood from Bunnings (90x45, F17/Vic Ash), ~$5-6 for 1m x 20mm x 5mm aluminium strip from Bunnings and some left over hardwood plywood (Kokoda, from Maxiply). Not too shabby. And, IMO, works better than the TruGrind because I can use it with my roughing gouge or traditional bowl gouge grinds.

Richard Hodsdon
2nd March 2017, 11:20 PM
This is a copy of the Oneway Varigrind or rather the Oneway is a based on the King Hepple. Ernie Conover was involved with the design and I cant remember which one came first.

VikingCode
3rd March 2017, 04:45 PM
It'd be the OneWay Wolverine - the Varigrind is the fingernail jig rather than the 'sharpening jig base'.

I believe this jig comes from The Lathe Book by Conover, with the first publication of that in 2001.... though I have no idea if its the first recorded instance of it. Do you know when the Wolverine was introduced?

Richard Hodsdon
3rd March 2017, 06:07 PM
If you look at the Varigrind/Wolverine Ernie is using in that book, you can see all the pieces/edges etc roughly ground away. It is the original trial varigrind that was being used /developed / and modified as is was going along. I was at a demo by Ernie in 2001 and remarked on the battered appearance and got the story from Ernie. Asked why they hadn't replaced his with a "clean" version, his comment was " why this one works'
Ernie Conover is quite a character, and in the South Africa he would be " 'n boer maak 'n plan" a farmer makes a plan.