PDA

View Full Version : Are Festool prices negotiable?

notrot
7th September 2005, 10:30 PM
Hello all,
Can anyone tell me if you can negotiate prices on Festool tools if you are buying 2 or more tools and guides etc.
One dealer told me " when you decide waht you want we can sort out a price" whilst another told me that Festool proces are set and that is I was to buy a few things they may throw in a feew accesories etc.
I'm looking at a saw and rail, Jigsaw and perhaps a router aswell.
Any Ideas
Regards
Paul

Iain
8th September 2005, 07:32 PM
Depends on the dealer but try to negotiate and play off a few dealers and see who wants the business.
Generally they are fixed but the smell of freshly printed notes makes dealers do strange things.

Gaza
8th September 2005, 08:26 PM
by law a company can not set prices (trade practices act) but Festool have a recommed retail price that must shops seem to stick to. Ie TS55 plunge cut saw + 1400 track + one blade + box $869.00 incld GST, Over the last few months prices have been droping but some shops have been taking parts of the package out, but i last week got the above for $809.00 and saw in trading post today from a dealer for about $750.00

Work out what you need, ring around then chose a shop that you know is honest and tell them what prices you can get else where and they should do the right thing,

Cabi Tec prices are off the planet and so is a place selling online (pops adds appear on this BB)

Good Luck, PS Festool is the best you can get, i have now got at work 2 track saws, track extensions and 3 ROS, Have not got festool dust exstractors as i have brought Fein for a Red hot price instead.

Greg Q
8th September 2005, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure that the trade practices act applies as there is no monoploy on power tools, and thus Festool can set whatever price they want. They also have a data link into the re-seller's computer systems which allows them to verify selling price*

*According to my local dealer.

I tend to buy (very infrequently) from dealers that also sell something else that I need/want. So far I have ended up with about 10% of the festool price in free/discounted non-festool products. When it comes to supplies like vacuum bags you might find a US dealer willing to mail them to you at a hefty discount. (like half price, including airmail)

Greg

joseph84
15th September 2005, 10:16 PM
I think you got more chance discovering a cure for cancer then negotiating with festool. Dealers dont make much on festool tools, so if you manage to get a good price you've done well. Let us know what happens :)

cheers
Joseph

shayrebel
16th September 2005, 07:52 AM
also don't be conned by their "sales",they usually package a free or discounted item with their full priced whatever,i recently went to buy a sys-box,was told there were no more free gifts left and that i should ring festool(waste of time,with a total lack of we're really sorry) and being advised that the dealer only got 6 free gifts to give away and this is supposed to be one of their bigger dealers in sydney.I know the "while stocks lasts" applies but with only 6 free gifts on offer,the "while stocks lasts" doesn't allow for much

Bodgy
16th September 2005, 09:35 AM
Shay

Hate to be a pain in the ass (Amerikanisation to avoid the censor's knife) but one cannot have a free gift. If its free, it's a gift, if it's a gift it's free. Tautology police on patrol. Free gifts seem to have gained currency in the marketers spin, I can't help but fight back.

I wrote this at 8AM in the morning, whilst making forward progress.

shayrebel
16th September 2005, 10:50 AM
whatever it is i didn't get one,and the poor response from the dealer and festool hasn't encouraged me to sing the praises of either establishment as far as service goes.Still a fan of the product,but the search will continue for an alternative

Bodgy
16th September 2005, 11:31 AM
TRADE PRACTICES ACT 1974
- SECT 45A
Contracts, arrangements or understandings in relation to
prices

(1) Without limiting the generality of section 45, a provision of a contract, arrangement or understanding, or of a proposed contract, arrangement or understanding, shall be deemed for the purposes of that section to have the purpose, or to have or to be likely to have the effect, of substantially lessening competition if the provision has the purpose, or has or is likely to have the effect, as the case may be, of fixing, controlling or maintaining, or providing for the fixing, controlling or maintaining of, the price for, or a discount, allowance, rebate or credit in relation to, goods or services supplied or acquired or to be supplied or acquired by the parties to the contract, arrangement or understanding or the proposed parties to the proposed contract, arrangement or understanding, or by any of them, or by any bodies corporate that are related to any of them, in competition with each other.

Rebus
16th September 2005, 06:56 PM
(1) Without limiting the generality of section 45, a provision of a contract, arrangement or understanding, or of a proposed contract, arrangement or understanding, shall be deemed for the purposes of that section to have the purpose, or to have or to be likely to have the effect, of substantially lessening competition if the provision has the purpose, or has or is likely to have the effect, as the case may be, of fixing, controlling or maintaining, or providing for the fixing, controlling or maintaining of, the price for, or a discount, allowance, rebate or credit in relation to, goods or services supplied or acquired or to be supplied or acquired by the parties to the contract, arrangement or understanding or the proposed parties to the proposed contract, arrangement or understanding, or by any of them, or by any bodies corporate that are related to any of them, in competition with each other.

:confused:
By George ! It's as clear as the nose on your face. :D We've got them by the short and *****'s now. That'll put a stop to any price fixing !

Regards,

Rubber.Piggy
25th October 2005, 02:58 PM
Depends on the dealer but try to negotiate and play off a few dealers and see who wants the business.
Generally they are fixed but the smell of freshly printed notes makes dealers do strange things.

This has been my expierience as well. Generally if they have to order the tool in the price is not negotiable. However when the dealer has the tool in stock I have found them to be flexible. It think this is becuase they wish to move the stock as there is a large re-stocking fee if they send it back to festool.