PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge bowl

powderpost
28th February 2017, 09:56 PM
Bit more cleaning up, does it ever end???? Some time back, I bought a load of wood, in it was about 1200mm long flitch off the outside of the log. It was about 375mm wide and about 100mm thick. It wasn't a very inspiring piece of timber, but a bit too good for the fire, so I cut a circle from it and headed for the lathe. I mounted a 200mm face plate in the flat side with short screws on the extreme outer edge to minimise penetration and turned a small flat about 100mm on the rounded side . To that flat I mounted a small face plate with screws. This would be the top of the bowl. After the back had been completed I mounted it on a sacrificial waste block to finish it off. Long time since I turned one of these bowls, now I remember why..... there is a lot of hand work cleaning up the "wings". The bowl was looking fairly ordinary, so added some bits to it.. :U. The cedar ring on the bottom was left over segmented from a previous job. Even so it still turned out a very "ordinary" job, it might be better with further finishing?

Jim

hughie
1st March 2017, 04:23 AM
Well if you want a challenge you can always put a new rim on it, maybe cedar to match the bottom :) Sometimes it is what it is.

Christos
1st March 2017, 06:06 AM
Personally I don't think this needs any further embellishment.