PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos in underlay

slobs22
8th September 2005, 09:16 AM
Hi Guys,

I ripped up the carpet in my house a few weeks ago and found lino underneath so ripped this up as well. Under the lino was another layer of harder, thicker type of lino which didn't go all the way to the walls. I ripped this up and underneath was a thin papery, cardboardy, woolen type blanket that was nailed to the floor. I also ripped this up.

I have an asbestos flue that I am arranging to have removed professionally but reading the asbestos websites it says that asbestos was also found in linoleum underlays. Is this the thin papery woolen stuff I ripped up??? I am really concerned and thinking I should get it tested for asbestos (there are still some pieces in the backyard.

Thanks for any help.

echnidna
8th September 2005, 10:35 AM
burn it and see if the ash is dust or fibrous

slobs22
10th September 2005, 12:11 AM
Well I burnt it and it seemed continually smolder and turn to dust/ash.

Is this papery substance what they mean when they talk about linoleum underlays or are they really refering to hard fibre cement sheeting, etc? I hope I am worrying myself for nothing.

Cheers Richard

ps I think I might send it to be sampled anyway. Does anyone know of places that do asbestos sampling in Melbourne?

Ian007
10th September 2005, 12:55 AM
Hi, this topic came up the other week and a friend of mine posted a reply in this link

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=186976#post186976

from my understanding they have a look and will ring you as well as sending the report, these guys are one of the biggest asbestos identification companys in the country, my mate Tim is always flying somewhere to do a site inspection for the crap

so at those prices I dont think you could lose

hope that helps

Cheers Ian