PDA

View Full Version : changing hands

James Elliott
5th March 2017, 02:01 AM
I am new to woodturning, 3-4 months, and still learning. One thing I am fairly confident about though is the skew chisel. I noted that most of the turners in our woodturning group are wary of the skew chisel, don't use it much, and they warned me to be careful of it. Therefore, I was a bit intimidated by the skew and determined to master it and overcome that fear. I have done a lot of research on the skew, watched many youTube videos over and over again, practised heaps, suffered many catches, finally enjoyed some degree of success, and now it is my favourite tool.

One thing I picked up frpm watching Curtis Buchanan videos and Jake Gevorgian, was that they change hands when traversing the work from right to left, and then left to right. I've watched all of Jake's videos and he always changes hands when reversing direction - sometimes several times when cutting one cove or bead. Curtis said he was one handed for 20 years before he discovered the benefits of changing hands, and has been changing hands ever since (about 7 years).

I decided to train myself to change hands with all tools, and being new to woodturning, decided to get into good habits while I was learning - so, I always change hands, even though it is not always completely comfortable to do so.

But! - is it a good habit? Is it the right thing to learn?

I note that many of the world's top woodturners do not change hands and do everything with their right hand on the handle and left hand on the chisel and tool rest (or the opposite for left-handers).

Before I totally commit to one way or the other I would appreciate your advice on this matter.

The reasons I think changing hands might be a good thing to persevere with include:

in time it will become muscle memory, comfortable, and automatic, like learning to use the clutch when learning to drive a car and changing gears with the left hand (in Australia, that is)
it seems to make sense to me that by changing hands you are doing things exactly the same way, whichever direction your are travelling in (eg rolling your wrist inwards when turning a bead - not inwards when doing the left side and outwards when doing the right side)
when I am rolling a bead at the extreme end of the spindle, I am further away from the head-stock and rotating chuck, rather than being in contact with one or other of them
visibility is improved when turning beads and coves.

The down side of learning to be ambidextrous is that one suffers many more catches when learning to use the non-dominant hand, but this situation is improving.

There is not much about this on the Internet, so I would really appreciate the input of experienced woodturners in this group.

Many thanks, James

Paul39
5th March 2017, 02:18 AM
James,

Yes to all of the above. Also by changing back and forth you are spreading the strain on sets of muscles and can turn longer without cramping or fatigue, which leads to catches.

Being able to work both left and right handed also extends to sawing, drilling, and hammering. Quite handy if you are at the top of a ladder trying to get something done that is on the opposite side of your dominant hand.

Richard Hodsdon
5th March 2017, 02:40 AM
Its a great habit to cultivate, especially when you reverse a blank (after turning the outside) to hollow out the inside, then it is easier to touchup the outside left handed . especially with the pull cut. you automatically cut downhill then.

James Elliott
5th March 2017, 02:44 AM
James,

Yes to all of the above. Also by changing back and forth you are spreading the strain on sets of muscles and can turn longer without cramping or fatigue, which leads to catches.

Being able to work both left and right handed also extends to sawing, drilling, and hammering. Quite handy if you are at the top of a ladder trying to get something done that is on the opposite side of your dominant hand.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. It is reassuring for a newbie woodturner to be told he is on the right track.

James.

James Elliott
5th March 2017, 02:45 AM
Its a great habit to cultivate, especially when you reverse a blank (after turning the outside) to hollow out the inside, then it is easier to touchup the outside left handed . especially with the pull cut. you automatically cut downhill then.

Thanks to you, too, Richard.

james

Old Croc
5th March 2017, 10:01 AM
Yes to what Paul said. I have a lot of trouble with the large platters and flared bowls I make with the edge moving after reversal. So i cut and finish the edges and rim on the 1st chucking. Once you master left and right hand with the tools, it will feel natural. It was easier for me as I had to learn to weld left handed as you cant always get you body in the correct position. Keep practicing.
Rgds,
Crocy.

chambezio
5th March 2017, 10:20 AM
There is no hard and fast rule regarding hand positions and movement. In this stage you are now, with all this being new, its time to experiment and try all sorts of methods and adopt what is comfortable for you. The main thing is to work safely. Not putting you or the job into danger.

I have been "fiddling" with the wood lathe for 30 odd years but I have to rethink what I am doing from time to time mainly because I am not on the lathe continuously. Its gives a lot of pleasure when you create something that has gone smoothly with the process.

Bottom line.....practice, practice, practice

brendan stemp
5th March 2017, 01:31 PM
I have never found the need to be ambidexterous while working on the lathe. I occasionally turn left handed but only when teaching a left hander.

joe greiner
5th March 2017, 03:59 PM
When turning symmetric pieces such as balls, it's very convenient to use the left hand toward the headstock work, because there's no easy place to stand with the headstock in the way when using the right hand. Being ambidextrous is also beneficial in billiards for some awkward shots.

Cheers,
Joe

issatree
5th March 2017, 04:17 PM
Hi James,
Well, I'm a Leftie, but do need to Turn Right handed to do a Bowl or similar.
That is very rare for me, as I don't normally Turn Bowls.
To do a few things that only my right hand can do.
I have approx 13 Skews, so you can guess what is my Favoured Tool.
I think, seeing how you have made progress will both hands, why not keep at it.
You can only get better. The more you turn the better you will get.

James Elliott
5th March 2017, 07:31 PM
I have never found the need to be ambidexterous while working on the lathe. I occasionally turn left handed but only when teaching a left hander.

Hi Brendan,
I have watched many of your videos and value your opinion - thank you for reading my post and replying to it.
James

chuck1
5th March 2017, 08:28 PM
I did the nsw tafe woodturning course and our teacher said there wasn't any left handers he had taught. .
I personally don't change hands and at the end of my apprenticeship could turn 28 to 35 newel posts a day a post being 90 by 90 and 1.5 long.
There would be 500 to 600 mm of turning and a ball on the top.
If you step along there doesn't seem to be a need to change hands.

Gassy
7th March 2017, 09:18 PM
For spindle turning a relevant question is why turn with left hand forward when the chuck is on the left? Surely safer and better visually to do right hand forward. I was taught that way and I like being comfortable with both. Perhaps bowl turning throws that though.

Heilander
9th March 2017, 07:22 PM
I turn with both hands,with skew or gouges,once learned y,ou do it unconsciously and find that the workflow is smoother.It does take practice but well worth it.Skews are no different or difficult to master.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big A
10th March 2017, 08:19 PM
This whole handedness thing has me a bit flummoxed. I am right handed, so my go to hand on the lathe is with the right hand on the handle and the left up at the tool rest. From what you have said, this is in the majority. Yet, when I use other precision wood working instruments like an axe or adze, my left hand is on the distant part of the handle and my right is up near the head. I always thought this was right handed. So what gives - the guiding hand is near the action isn't it, and this is the "handedness"?

For some silly bloody reason, I use my left hand to guide a crowbar, shovel, broom and mop, yet the right hand up near a pick head.

All good fun.
Alister.

woodPixel
10th March 2017, 11:38 PM
There is one Facebook guy I follow, The Woodturners. http://thewoodturners.com/

He uses two tools only, a skew which never changes except for some coves and he moves to a gouge.

His videos are very good to watch. His actions are practice smoothed by 30(?) yeas of non stop production work. It's unreal to watch him do a job in 5 minutes that would take 2 hours!

On a note, I'm naturally ambidextrous, but find it a bit of a drawback. I too enjoy the gouge as my favourite tool.... And sandpaper to cover my sins :)

Christos
19th March 2017, 09:59 AM
As this is a hobby and time is not so critical I have used both right and left hands to turn. I am prominently right handed so moving to the left hand is not always quick. I have to stop and pause before continuing to cut.

If you do practice using both hands I believe that you will not notice it becoming easier.

James Elliott
29th March 2017, 01:39 AM
If you do practice using both hands I believe that you will not notice it becoming easier.

It has become easier, Christos. Not only easier but second nature. In fact, I am now very comfortable with changing hands when I reverse direction, and feel uncomfortable when leading with the 'wrong' hand - wrong hand for me, that is. I appreciate you interest and taking the time to reply to my post.

James Elliott
29th March 2017, 02:12 AM
For spindle turning a relevant question is why turn with left hand forward when the chuck is on the left? Surely safer and better visually to do right hand forward. I was taught that way and I like being comfortable with both. Perhaps bowl turning throws that though.

I don't follow your meaning, Gassy. Everyone has their left-hand forward when moving the chisel from right to left - right-hand on hip, left hand on tool rest (except for 'lefties' perhaps). Most people still have their left-hand forward when they change direction and come back from left to right, and right hand still on their hip, or as close to as they can manage.

When turning one-handed, right-handed, using a skew in a planing cut:
planing right-to-left - the left hand is on the tool rest but with the chisel between it and the spindle/chuck - so it is safe;
planing left-to-right involves twisting the body and wrist towards the chuck, to get the angle - not so safe. As you say, it is better to change hands so the left hand is on the handle, left elbow against the hip, and right hand is leading on the tool rest, with, once again, the chisel between it and the chuck or spindle.

Christos
29th March 2017, 09:37 PM
..... If you do practice using both hands I believe that you will not notice it becoming easier.

Opps I mucked it up by having an extra word in the previous sentence.

..... If you do practice using both hands I believe that you will not notice it becoming easier.

James Elliott
30th March 2017, 08:02 PM
Opps I mucked it up by having an extra word in the previous sentence.

lol - the "not" makes all the difference, and you are quite correct :)

hughie
2nd April 2017, 07:36 AM
Much depends on who you are and what you prefer and can do. If you're ambidextrous then it's easy, if not it, may well be impossible.
Also to some extent what you're turning has a bearing as well.
For me I do but then I am ambidextrous, so I make use of it. It's horses for courses .