PDA

View Full Version : Proper mortar mix?

Tiger
8th September 2005, 03:01 PM
Dear all,

I house all my woodworking equipment in a tin garage. For reasons I don't understand, the sides and the front of the garage don't go all the way down to the ground leaving gaps in some places:confused: . In some places, the gaps are 1 cm, in others as much as 3 cm. When it rains, water comes in and when cold it makes for an unpleasant experience:mad: . I thought that mortar might be the answer as the garage sits on a concrete slab. That worked for a little while and then it cracked. My question is what mix do you use for an effective mortar and how should you apply it so that it doesn't crack. I did try and use mortar on another project and it also cracked. Maybe there's another way to close the gap and I won't use mortar but I am bothered as to why it cracks. Note that I used premixed mortar from Bunnies. Any replies welcome.

dallas
8th September 2005, 05:33 PM
try a 5:1 mix of brickies sand to cement... make sure you wet the slab where the mortar is going to be laid, so it doesn't draw too mcuh water from the drying mortar and crack it... can throw in a splash of soaps (glycol or dishwashing liquid!)...

but is there something else that you can use instead of the mortar?

D

steve54123alt
8th September 2005, 06:15 PM
5:1 is pretty standard... I think it works about the same a used when Laboring for some Brickies...
Where it is only 1 cm can you use silicone filler for something... no-more-gaps etc?
Not sure if it will span 3cm... it will in different applications

ozwinner
8th September 2005, 06:35 PM
Selleys Space Invader is what I would use..

Al :D

maxpower
8th September 2005, 11:33 PM
Hi there, with premixed mortar i think its a good idea to make sure the contents are properly remixed out of the bag. The ratios mentioned above are ok but if you go 3 parts sand to one part cement you get an even stronger result.
Adding a little "bondcrete" to the gauging water ie the water you mix in with the cement gives you an even better result.
Cheers

steve54123alt
9th September 2005, 05:15 PM
Is bondcreate soap with some weird chemicals thrown in?

ozwinner
9th September 2005, 06:31 PM
Is bondcreate soap with some weird chemicals thrown in?

Its basicly PVA.

Al :)

Harry72
10th September 2005, 01:51 AM
And if you add to much bondcrete the concrete will dust after a while... just like if you use to much water in the mud.

himzol
10th September 2005, 07:53 AM
Don't know much about mortar,
However if you are trying to seal a gap between metal and the concrete slab you have to allow for movement in the metal otherwise it doesnt matter what ratio of sand etc you use it will eventually crack up.

Selleys Space Invader is what I would use..

This probably not a bad idea, or you could try fiberglass or some rubber stripping.

just my thoughts on the subject.

Himzo

ozwinner
10th September 2005, 06:58 PM
. just like if you use to much water in the mud.

Geez....never heard of that one? :confused:

Al :confused:

soundman
10th September 2005, 09:30 PM
I would be looking at some sort of flashing strips. metal angle type stuff that could be fixed. some of those holes are prety big. then fill the gaps with space invader or whatever.