PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable bowl jaws to fit WSC-100 chuck

Fryers
14th March 2017, 02:48 PM
Hi,

I have a Hafco WSC-100, 100mm scroll chuck, that works Ok. I also have a WSC-kit with a 125mm adjustable bowl jaws, both purchased from Hare & Forbes.
The 125mm bowl jaws extend upto about 160mm for finishing or light work, mounting the work with screwed on plastic/rubber stoppers.
I am looking for larger adjustable bowl jaws to fit the WSC-100, preferably ones that extend to 280-300mm.
Hare & Forbes can't help.
Does anybody know if other makes would fit the WSC-100 chuck?

Cheers,
Fryers

powderpost
14th March 2017, 09:23 PM
Most scroll chucks are fitted with optional adaptors. First step is to determine the thread size and pitch and buy the aprporiate adaptor.

Jim

KBs PensNmore
14th March 2017, 11:16 PM
I doubt anyone makes jaws that will go to 300 mm, apart from Cole Jaws. Are you wanting to use the chuck to hold the tenon of the bowl, or the face of the bowl, to remove the tenon? If you're wanting to hold the face of the bowl to work on the bottom, have a look at a Longworth chuck on You Tube, that can be made by yourself out of some Marine Ply, (it's stronger than construction ply). Just needs a router with a circle attachment, total cost about $20.00.
Kryn

pommyphil
15th March 2017, 06:27 AM
Like these ? CWS Store - Vicmarc Bowl Jaws VM120/140/150 (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vicmarc-bowl-jaws-vm120140150)

Phil

Nubsnstubs
15th March 2017, 12:38 PM
If you're looking for something to aid in removing tenons or help in cleaning up your bottoms, look at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyi7_WN6mcI&t=47s The only size jaws needed are 50 mm using a friction plate/jam chuck to support your piece while removing or cleaning up the bottom totally between centers. I've been using it since 2012, and have had no issues if the tailstock doesn't creep. No nubs to pop your knuckles on, will accept any size, shape or configuration of form. All you need is a good imagination on how to mount the unusual piece you might be wanting to remove a tenon. Unfortunately, it's found only in the U.S at this time. If you have any questions, contact me........Jerry (in Tucson)

Fryers
15th March 2017, 05:47 PM
Thanks Jim, Kryn, Phil & Jerry for your advice. They were all useful.
I think, my next step will be to take my WSC-100 chuck with me, when I am next in Melbourne with some time to kill, and see if any adjustable bowl jaws fit (Vicmarc or teknatool-Nova or others).
If that doesn't work, then think some more.
Thanks again
Fryers