PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

johna
26th October 2001, 11:16 PM
Since this is my first post i thought i'd start of by saying hello.
I have thought about taking up woodworking now for a long time and finally decided to give it a go.
I have now got all my tools after saving up for them all of this year.
Triton workcentre
Triton circular saw
2 x Multi stands
2 x router/jigsaw tables
Biscuit joiner
bevel ripping guide
sliding extension table
planer attachment
biscuit joiner

as for power tools i bought
bosch gof 1300 ace router
bosch gho 31-82 planer
sherwood radial drill press
dewalt dw423 sander
dewalt dw 14.4v cordless drill
also numerose hand tools including chisels, dowl jigs, hammers, saws, scrapers and so on.

Also got the Gifkins dovetail jig, but would like to save up and also get the the complete leigh package, that is if i find that i will actually have any use for it.
Who knows i might even find out that would working is not for me, but we shall soon find out.

Now all i have to do is work out what to try my hand at first, and also see how many mistakes i make and how much timber i actually waste, but it shall be fun learning.
(Since i am a Train Driver maybe i should build myself a Motor carriage) Hmmm maybe aiming a little too high there..

Also could anyone tell me if there are any short courses i could do to at least develop some skills.

[This message has been edited by johna (edited 26 October 2001).]

Iain
27th October 2001, 07:13 AM
I won't offer any advice on courses, but if you are beginning, start with that wonderful exotic, pinus radiata.
And whatever you do, don't buy it from Bunnies unless you are paid too much...
Have fun and watch out for the sawdust.

barrysumpter
27th October 2001, 09:14 AM
Welcome John,

Triton offers courses at Holmesglen TAFE.

Holmesglen offers heaps of various woodworking courses.

There is also a Triton users group who meet at Holmesglen every third Sunday. The next meeting is a Christmas BBQ.

Ring Triton for a users group in your area.
Or Triton or Holmesglen for courses in you area.

I'd suggest the Gifkin box making is the first go.

There are heaps and heaps of free plans on the internet to chase up. To give you an idea as to where to start. I suggest something simple you could finish in a single day. To help you get to know your tools. Try a few easy ones then graduate to more complex ones.
As Iain suggested start with pine first then move on to more expensive wood.

Don't forget workshop jigs. Once you get the hang of it you'll be making jigs without hesitation.

Let us know how you go.

Have fun.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter
Proud Tritoneer

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 27 October 2001).]

johna
27th October 2001, 04:42 PM
Thank's for the help guys, i'm going to make a box tomorrow and see how i go, either way i'll post some pictures on here weather it turns out good or not.
I am planning on staining it with Feast watson prooftint stain mixed in with french polish.